Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has 40 & 80 been really louse the past few day  (Read 435 times)
W5RKL

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »

During the week days 40 is pretty quiet. At night,
however, 40 seems to have quite a number of
DX stations coming through at S5 and S6, when my
line noise is not covering them up. Just have to
tune around and listen.

Mike
W5RKL
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:33:21 PM »

Not a problem here in southern CA.  40 and 80 have both been fine, and 160's been wide open with low noise levels and strong signal.  

Worked several stations in northern Europe (mostly SMs, OHs, etc) during the CQ 160m CW contest this weekend (mostly after 0300 UTC) and I cannot often do that.  I thought condx were very good, but then I'm not very active on 160.

WB2WIK/6
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »

Just looked you up on QRZ, says you're in Cedar Rapids.  I wonder if you know my buddy NM0A at Rockwell.  The only input I can offer is that as 40 and 80 go "long" during the evening, I find my butternut does a better job than the low 80/40 dipole.  Guessing it has something to do with TOA, as I'm picking up the east coast nearly as strong as California.  Do you find signals drop off after 0200Z or all the time?  Just the other night I flipped the rig on about 0500 and was tuning in on round tables on 75, but not much on 40.  Also, on 40 when it seems the only thing on in the phone segment is broadcast, you can always seem to find CW activity.  Oh yeah, as far as the louse, they have shampoos that take care of that.  :-)

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N0NS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:32:30 PM »

Is it me, or has 40 and 80 been especially terrible over the past few days?  The earliest I get on the air is usually 0200z and both bands have been loaded with QRN and I can hardly hear any stations.  

What do you think?

73  Joe N0NS

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »

I think your right.  80 and 40 have been really louse.  But, what kind of louse do you mean: body louse, head louse, pubic louse or maybe some other parasitic, wingless, blood-sucking anoplura.

OK, I could not resist.
N0NS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 08:46:03 PM »

Yes, you were the second person to notice that.  I was the first and debated if I should reply to my original post but figured it would only amplify it further!

Oh well, the mistake will only be on the CW forum's front page for the next two years!

Joe P.  N0NS

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:54:08 AM »

"I thought condx were very good, but then I'm not very active on 160. "

I'm on 160 just about every night and I thought conditions were good ;-)  And in fact, *last* night there was a good bit of post-contest DX activity, and probably the loudest signals of the weekend.  

But 160 is a really different animal than 80 and 40 for DX at least.  I've heard nights on 160 when there was no DX to be heard but I can go up to 80m and have DX and domestic stations booming in everywhere.

There should be some good 160 contest scores this time around for sure but I think the consensus among 160 DX guys is that there's not much correlation between conditions on 160 and conditions on the other bands.

Unfortunately can't comment on 80&40 recent condx because I've largely been down on Topband ;-)  

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »

I hear ya, Dan.

I'm rarely on 160 but then I don't have good antennas for the band and of course would rather operate on bands where I do.

Using a shortened inverted vee at 55' or so (it's trapped and about the length of an 80m dipole), during the times I can conveniently operate (mostly before 0300-0330 UTC, rarely later), 160 is noisy and signals aren't very strong.

However, this past Friday night using the same setup, the noise level was S2 and there were many S9++ signals all over the band.  Of course, it was a contest...but contesters can't lower my noise level, so it was overall very good condx to my ears.

VE3EJ from 3000 miles away was S9+20-30 here and worked easily with 100W.  Some western EU stations were as high as S5-S6 when I normally don't hear any at all.

Very interesting band to say the least: 160 is the "other magic band."

WB2WIK/6
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »

I think there was a lull in 40/80 DX activity (if not actual propogation) in the last week of January. I don't feel the conditions were all that bad, just that things were not all that active. Domestic QRP activity was really on the go though, and I had numerous QSO's with Colorado/Arizona/New Mexico/Utah on 40M and 80M where the other guy was running just a few watts.

The past couple of evenings here on the East Coast (mid-Atlantic area), 80M CW DX to Europe has been astonishingly good. Lots of DX stations are coming in at my QTH way above S9. I call (using my 80W and a dipole up 90 feet) and get reports of S9 or better from multiple European/Eastern European/Scandinavian stations every night. In other words, this seems to be a really prime time for NA to Europe 80M DXing - truly good winter conditions. It was just as easy as say picking up DX on 15M at the height of the sunspot cycle.

Tim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: