Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Registry Cleaners  (Read 14761 times)
KB3HG

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »

Who has a decent registry cleaner for win7 that's not 1. a memory hog, 2 not always trying to sell you something or tries to put something on your machine that screws up settings.
I had one for older machines with xp but that computer was wore out. I don't remember what company wrote the software. Any recommendations?

Tom Kb3hg
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »

Cnet is a good place to see what is available ......

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?query=registry+cleaner&tag=srch%3Ba&searchtype=products

(((73))) Milverton.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

Thanks, I look at the links.

Tom Kb3hg
KK2DOG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »

I second the CCLEANER recommendation. Snoop around  www.filehippo.com  too.

Mike KK2DOG
         www.hamwave.com
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:46:14 AM »

Add another vote for CCleaner - and it's FREE!

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »

I also use CCleaner and it works fine for me.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »

hi,

we use this one in

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/registry-cleaner/download/

Sysinternals also has nice utilites, no cost, so good microsoft bought the company.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals

73 james
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 05:01:40 AM »

There are several on the market.  Each does a good job, just as each has a different idea of what is supposed to be 'cleaned' from the registry.  I use Comcast internet as my ISP, and they offer the Norton suite of maintenance tools and virus protection for free.  It includes a registry cleaner, but that one isn't selective. 

If you know what you're doing, there is the Wise registry cleaner and Wise disk cleaner available at C-net, where you can select what you want the cleaner to do if you use the advanced option.  I use both.  The Norton one runs silently in the background, doing its thing while your computer sits idle, the Wise cleaner does not.

Of course, there is always the registry editor that Microsoft includes in windows--but use that only if you are sure of what you're doing, lest you end up with a computer that is unusable.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »

I often wonder if the registry is as much of an issue as some of the registry cleaner developers would have you think. If you are often installing and removing programs it is possible that an uninstall doesn't properly remove its registry entries. If you wind up with a bunch of entries that attempt to start programs that are no longer present then certainly that will slow things down.

My computer is pretty stable in that I don't often install and then uninstall a program. When I tried a registry cleaner it didn't accomplish anything that I could tell. I'm pretty hesitant about running a registry cleaner from a company that is not well known. Who knows what malware they might add to your system. I have also known people to have some of these accidentally remove files that were a part of Windows. I also have a big question mark about those "free" registry cleaners or speed up my computer programs that always seem to find problems and want your credit card number in order to "fix" the problems.

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

The reason for the registry cleaner is that my kids PC is always getting different programs down loaded and then changed or eliminated. All the left over crap and the error messages. To top it off, you are barred from the restore features. I think the last one I purchased was PC Tools you were given up to 3 licenses. Yes I have seen where some of the programs remove common files to windows. I try to do back ups  but with the paid for subscriptions for all the software I would lose to much if I did what is really needed wipe and reload from backups. I really hate when the kids install crap that adds other crappy programs that slow down the network by sucking up bandwidth. Don't let me catch a file sharing anything as that would be the end of PC usage period.
I have had to recover too many PCs from file sharing  and losing critical data. Any more I Say no backups sorry you lost it, now.

I am still looking at the programs though.

Tom Kb3hg
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »

All this is why I do a Windows reinstall yearly. . . . . It's about the only way to really clean things up.

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:31:28 AM »

All this is why I do a Windows reinstall yearly. . . . . It's about the only way to really clean things up.

UNfortunately that is the only way to really fix Windows. You must have a neat way to reinstall software and backup your files to constantly reinstall an OS.

CC cleaner FREE works for me too. Computer seems a little faster when the registry is uncluttered.

Fred
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »

hi,

Registry and page file can be defraged by using
the utility from Sysinternals, now owned by MS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426

73 james
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »

I have used Wise Registry Cleaner for several years.  Works great, free, highly rated, no junk popups.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: