Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Registry Cleaners  (Read 15658 times)
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »

While cleaning out my saved Favorite Links tonight, I came across this product that's interesting and you might look at for your situation.

LINK: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

LINK: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_uninstall_features.html

REVO Group offers a Free and Professional $model to Remove Unwanted programs and traces.
I have NOT tried nor used it myself, so can't offer comments on it's value.
Look at the FEATURES Tab which shows a variety of several Uninstallers / Cleaners products.

And there's the The PC Decrapifier that Wipes Unwanted Junk from slow running PC's.

LINK: http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:20:52 PM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH   ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

All this is why I do a Windows reinstall yearly. . . . . It's about the only way to really clean things up.

UNfortunately that is the only way to really fix Windows. You must have a neat way to reinstall software and backup your files to constantly reinstall an OS.

CC cleaner FREE works for me too. Computer seems a little faster when the registry is uncluttered.

Fred

I have the install CD/DVD's for software that's that's not free on the net or downloadable. For my data I use something called Karen's Replicator. With that, you define rules to copy files to a USB drive. It get the modified files only after the first run, so it's pretty quick. I keep everything really well organized. Pic in the My Pictures folders, music in the iTunes folder which is in My Music. etc etc. I have about 8 rules. One for my VirtualBox files and another for Outlook PST files . . . etc etc . .  So by running this tool weekly, I get a fast backup and a complete backup. One other nice feature is it will also sync file deletions. Delete a file on your computer, it deletes it from the USB drive. I don't enable that for all things. It's needed for the VirtualBox files though.

So, boot/reload windows, lay back the data directories and install the software. I can re-image my work/company laptop in about 2 hours and be fully able to work.

G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 12:21:07 PM »

CC Cleaner is one of the best. But why do you need to mess around with the registry ? Nobody interferes with the registry of a computer unless they know what they're doing. What do you think is a problem in the registry ?

Mel G0GQK
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 06:16:21 AM »

Mel,
One of my children down loaded something that also included a program called BCHelper.exe it calls for a file something like
 sqlite 3.dll . It is supposed to be some sort of database tracker talking back to another site of some sort. I tried the uninstall from the people who own the program. Well what do you expect. it did  not work. It must be embedded some where. This is the kids computer. It's an annoying program on start up, sucks down resources and I want to rid the machine of it. oh yes, it has blocked access to restore. Past the other anti malware software.  That's what my quest is about.

I tried wise registry cleaner , it cleaned loose ends but cannot remove several entries. I ran it as administrator and still no Happy face.

Tom Kb3hg
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »

I have used cleaners in the past and have gone to cnet for there suggestion on which one to buy . The few I used seem to make a difference so I was going to find a new one for my new computer I went to a popular computer info site sorry I have forgotten which one and a couple different witters said that they were not worth anything and that they could cause major problems and that they were just not worth the risk.  based on the few articles I read last month I have decided not to go with a registry cleaner .  Sorry I have no address for you to go to but google the question are registry cleaners any good and see for your self . Hope I have helped you .  John molenda kb2huk
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 06:08:40 AM »

Thanks John. I'll look into it.

Tom Kb3hg
WA8H

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »

Who has a decent registry cleaner for win7 that's not 1. a memory hog, 2 not always trying to sell you something or tries to put something on your machine that screws up settings.
I had one for older machines with xp but that computer was wore out. I don't remember what company wrote the software. Any recommendations?

Tom Kb3hg

I've used ccleaner on 8 different machines from XP to Win 7. It works very well. Hope this helps.
Glenn WA8H 73
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »

A slightly different idea: get your Windows loaded and working the way you want it.
Go to www.faronics.com and obtain their program Deep Freeze and install it.
Its not free but the price is reasonable. Once installed no changes that are made
to the computer by yourself, kids, malware etc will survive a restart. Not even
data that has been saved will survive. You'll have to learn to save photos, downloads,
whatever to an external drive, thumbdrive or a partition that you have created. It is
possible to temporarily disable Deep Freeze to allow for installing a new program, etc.
If you can adjust to using your computer with Deep Freeze onboard it's great.

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »

...and a couple different witters said that they were not worth anything and that they could cause major problems and that they were just not worth the risk.

I've used Registry Mechanic (PC Tools Software) almost daily since 1998 or there abouts, and its always worked well.  Never had a problem nor has it ever damaged my computer or its registry in any way.  Its gone through Win.98, Win.2000 and, now, Win.XP, and worked well with all of them.
Over the years, the interface has changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not, and it has gotten much faster than the original program but it has always worked.
When I first install it on a new computer, it finds a few dozen errors and corrects them; then, as time goes on, it only finds one or two or, often, no errors.  Then, with a major upgrade or a new program install, it may be busy for a short while, then go back to almost nothing again.
I'd be lost without it, if only for the peace of mind it provides
Tom
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »

All this is why I do a Windows reinstall yearly. . . . . It's about the only way to really clean things up.

I agree. CC cleaner and the others are like band-aides that keep the machine happy. To get back to the original set-up and speed you had when the machine was new requires wipe the drive and re-install the OS. Get your important files into a thumb drive first. And survey all of the programs you use. That part gets sticky with re-installs, activation keys and finding the original disk or hoping it's still available on the internet.
Fred
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »

hi Tom,

have you tried autoruns from sysinternals, no cost, microsoft owns them now.
you can stop the item from running on startup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

then you should be able to delete it, if not, then use the file assassin
from malwarebytes, no cost.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/fileassassin/

73 james
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: