Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct type replacement fuse  (Read 2686 times)
KD8HMB

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

One fuse blew on my Icom 208H power lead ( I tried to attach something else other than the radio to the connector and it failed).
The 2018H manual states on page 76 that the replacement fuse should be a FGB 20 A.
My question is this - what is FGB ? I found 20 A fuses at the local automotive shops type SFE, but no one could tell me what SFE, much less FGB, stood for.
On-line searches were fruitless, too.
Is the FGB a special type of fuse or can I simply substitute the readily available 20 A SFE types?
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »

Here you will find a good bit of info concerning "Wiring and Fuses"

http://www.k0bg.com/protection.html

(((73))) Milverton
KD8HMB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »

Thank you for the link - I agree it's an interesting read about fuses, but I didn't see anything that answers my specific questions:
I am using the OEM ICOM power cable and fuses attached to my car battery -  all I need to understand is what is the correct replacement fuse for the one that blew?  The automotive shops and Radio Shack stock the 20 A SFE fuses - but no one has or even knows what a 20A FGB fuse is.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »

FGB - Fast Glass Blow

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Difference_between_slow_blow_fuse_and_fast_blow_fuse

Hope this help

(((73))) Milverton
KC2KMJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »

Thank you for the link - I agree it's an interesting read about fuses, but I didn't see anything that answers my specific questions:
I am using the OEM ICOM power cable and fuses attached to my car battery -  all I need to understand is what is the correct replacement fuse for the one that blew?  The automotive shops and Radio Shack stock the 20 A SFE fuses - but no one has or even knows what a 20A FGB fuse is.

Use a 20A fast-blow glass fuse of the appropriate length. That's what I use in all my radios, fused on both the pos and neg leads.

Well that's weird. W9MMS's response wasn't there when I replied. Well 2 heads are better than 1, eh? :-)
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

No prob OM!
The hardest ones to find is always right there in front of our nose. :-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: