Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF rig, think I know what I want, any flaws?  (Read 8594 times)
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »

Allan,

The FT-897D is a good rig..DC to daylight if you will, has all the HF frequencies, with the added 2 meter and 70 centimeter frequencies.  Also, if you get the batteries for it, you will be reduced to 20 watts..that's it, on FM it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but on HF, it may, depends on your antenna.  Antennas, another object that you will definitely have to consider..a simple wire half wave dipole works very well, if you make one for a single band or one for 80 meters and use a tuner.  Tuners, another item you may need to consider, if your antenna isn't resonate, then you will definitely need a tuner.  My advice there, don't go with the Yaesu tuners for the 897..they are not very efficent, get the LDG AT-897, looks just like what Yaesu has but is WAY better, the LDG model will handel 10:1 SWR and bring it into resonance.

Instead, you may want to consider the Kenwood line, the TS-590 for sure is a great rig..and well within your budget, you also might want to consider the TS-2000, has everything you are looking for with the option of adding the 1.2GHz module.  I have played with a few TS-2000, and they are very well laid out..similar in design to my Kenwood TS-480HX 200 watt HF rig.  Like others have stated herein..having a rig like the 897 are nice, but one thing I had happen to me was the 2 meter went out on mine, gad a power surge and fried the 2 meter finals.  Why just 2 meters..who knows, but it did, well being very active on 2 meters at the time I needed 2 meters, but..wait..OH yea.my rig is back at Yaesu getting fixed.  It was after that I started staying away from the all inclusive rigs like the 897D, 857D, IC-706MKIIG, had em all at one time or another..all great rigs for what they are.  But if you are not going to be on 2/440 that much..get yourself a decent 2/440 mobile rig, they are all makes models, ones that are just 2 meters and 440, some have air RX some don't, some offer 2 meters 440 with APRS like the Kenwood TM-D700 and the newer D710. If you have any cash left over..put it into what you have set aside for your antenna system. Kust my observations..I wish you well.

73 de Mark
AI4HO
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:33 AM »

Have FT 897D W/CW filter, built in PS, tuner bolted to rig. Got this rig when moved to condo, only current production with built in PS. Does what it should, however not a good rig for me. Not being into computers and being old makes for uncomfortable operation. Found this old guy needed much simpler rig. Got IC 718 and took PS out of 897 for portable use.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: