Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's get something straight about QRP!  (Read 22986 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »

You hear and read terms like "Life's too Short for QRP".

People ask "why run QRP when you can run QRO ,or low power"? They make negative comments when a QRP operator wants to join a QSO ,or just make a contact. I hate that!!

So let's get something straight before the arrogance comes out of someone's mouth and is too into themselves before giving a thought that maybe a person is running QRP for a reason. Maybe this will play a role in the back of your anti-QRP mentality before dismissing a QRP caller , CQ'er ,or even one trying to make the same DX-pedition contact you QRO guys are making before you crush thier hopes with your low power to high power signals.

QRP has a specific intended purposes and applies to a certain demographic. QRP is a means of operating under constraint ,or restricted conditions. If you fall into this demographic then and only then would you appreciate operating QRP.

Your demographic only experiments with it as per curiosity. You probably don't hike, travel, camp, hunt or anything that requires you to be active out doors. As well as not being restricted by HOA ,land lords, or complaining and threatening neighbors. If you don't fall in this category ,or appreciate the challenge and science behind the power of 1 watt and what it can manage then QRP is not for you.

If You suffered a life threatening situation and needed to know what QRP setup would yield you best results you'd be screwed. LOL!

QRP is not just about the challenge and fun ,but portability and being marveled at its simplicity to get the job done. For some it's an alternative to do the best they can when restricted and for some other that and preparedness for what ever.

I'm prepared! Are you?

So next time you start a NET, or step all over a QRP signal thinking "screw him" think twice. Give the QRP operator a break. Karma is a B&@$# and you may just need QRP one day.

73!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:23:10 PM by N2RRA » Logged
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:36:50 PM »

to N2RRA.....Indeed! Your post was dead-on and sincerely expressed in a way that everyone( I think) can truly understand and hopefully relate to. Qrp is just another facet/avenue/path to take in ham radio if you choose to pursue it. Thank you for post. I'm tipping my hat...my BEST to you.
Sincerely yours with many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU-- A GREEN QRP STATION.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

to N2RRA.....Indeed! Your post was dead-on and sincerely expressed in a way that everyone( I think) can truly understand and hopefully relate to. Qrp is just another facet/avenue/path to take in ham radio if you choose to pursue it. Thank you for post. I'm tipping my hat...my BEST to you.
Sincerely yours with many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU-- A GREEN QRP STATION.

Grin Thank you Don Sr.!

I tip my hat right back.

73!
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »

For those who say their life is too short for QRP, they may be right.

But some of us are more relaxed and less aggressive and plan to live longer.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:36:52 PM »

Life's too short for QRP!

Just kidding  Roll Eyes Couldn't resist  Tongue

I love taking the KX-1 outdoors with just a wire for an antenna. My Rockmite is a blast to use with just 1/2 watt. I'm still trying to make a QSO with my Pixie II. I'm determined but I'm sure I'll get it sometime. Once I ressurect my power supply I have some "glowbug" breadboard transmitter / receivers that put out 2-3 watts that are an absolute blast to use.

There are times that call for more than 5 watts. On HF I rarely ever find the need for an amp or even 100 watts for that matter. I occasionally fire up an amp when dx chasing some place that I have slim to no propagation if it's an all-time-new-one... that's about it.

I do run an amp for EME work but that is a completely different animal.

Every QRP rig I have I put together from a kit or from scrounged up parts - building them is 1/2 the fun. Having someone come back to you on something you built is a wonderful thing.
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »

to WB6BYU.  You're absolutely correct. I always take serious notice when I see WB6BYU has answered a posting. You are one of the most knowledgeable and decent caring hams who continually shares his honest views/opinions with others. Thank you for reminding us that ones actions and kind words are indeed a reflection of what ham radio is truly about and suppose to be.
My very BEST  to you. BE WELL. STAY HEALTHY. Enjoy your QRP journeys and contacts.

With the sincerest regards and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU- A TRUE GREEN QRP STATION.
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »

Agreed!

QRP in my opinion is the only game in town when you are on foot and need to pack a radio.

http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,111.0.html

Gil.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »

Life's too short for QRP!

Just kidding  Roll Eyes Couldn't resist  Tongue

I love taking the KX-1 outdoors with just a wire for an antenna. My Rockmite is a blast to use with just 1/2 watt. I'm still trying to make a QSO with my Pixie II. I'm determined but I'm sure I'll get it sometime. Once I ressurect my power supply I have some "glowbug" breadboard transmitter / receivers that put out 2-3 watts that are an absolute blast to use.

There are times that call for more than 5 watts. On HF I rarely ever find the need for an amp or even 100 watts for that matter. I occasionally fire up an amp when dx chasing some place that I have slim to no propagation if it's an all-time-new-one... that's about it.

I do run an amp for EME work but that is a completely different animal.

Every QRP rig I have I put together from a kit or from scrounged up parts - building them is 1/2 the fun. Having someone come back to you on something you built is a wonderful thing.

LOL!
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »

I do both.  On VHF/UHF I will run qrp when the Es season is in full swing
for fun and giggles. However if the DX is a new one or an old friend out
comes the big gun and I"m not timid about using all of it.

On HF I have a few 100W radios (pair of 6146) and a few HB radios
in the QRP range, that and a amp to take the 4W radio to 40w when
desired.

In the end it's if I feel like running off the the grid,  or the
solar charged 150AH nicads, or grabbing the 6AH lithium and
going portable. 

In the end it's about the antenna. 
Ever consider QRP using a tribander?  Try it they call you a liar.  Wink

Allison
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »

I do both.  On VHF/UHF I will run qrp when the Es season is in full swing
for fun and giggles. However if the DX is a new one or an old friend out
comes the big gun and I"m not timid about using all of it.

On HF I have a few 100W radios (pair of 6146) and a few HB radios
in the QRP range, that and a amp to take the 4W radio to 40w when
desired.

In the end it's if I feel like running off the the grid,  or the
solar charged 150AH nicads, or grabbing the 6AH lithium and
going portable. 

In the end it's about the antenna. 
Ever consider QRP using a tribander?  Try it they call you a liar.  Wink

Allison

What kind of solar panels do you use and from where?
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »

to KB1GMX-- Allison, nice posting.Great to hear of other another  GREEN QRP STATION. You do not know how many times I've been called a liar- that I'm NOT really at 5 watts Qrp. I'm a die-hard Qrper- just ask my friends on the 14240 Group about my antennas.  You are absolutely correct when you stated -its all in the antenna. PERIOD!
Best regards and many 73.
Don sr. - WA2TPU- A TRUE GREEN QRP STATION. 
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

Judging from Four Days in May (FDIM) at Dayton each year, QRP may very well be the fastest growing segment of amateur radio.
And as so many of the QRP gang build, kit  and design their own gear, we may be the closest surviving thing to what amateur radio started out as- people interested in wireless, electronics, elmering  and building. If we had more of that on the bands today, we would have a lot less "My 1st personal is" and the nonsense of 75M.

Just my opinion,

Dale W4OP
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 07:33:32 AM »

Perhaps you've seen the expression, "QRP is when you care enough to send the very least!"

I like it.
LNXAUTHOR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »

i remember when i first got started - the prevailing advice for a first transceiver was to get a used 100W HF rig...

nah, i went with an FT-817...

it's still my favorite and spends an equal amount of time outdoors as inside

QRP is the way for me...
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

N2RRA: RE: panels,  A pair of solar cynergy 80W from solarbvld.com.  At the time they were
about 120$ each.  I also have a 50W and a 20W.  Thats arraged so at peak thers about 230W of charge and two smaller are offset to extend the usable charge (sun) time.

I also have a bunch of the 3W "volkswagon" panels as they were cheap
and do a great job charging 7AH gells and other batteries.

The 150AH nicads were a find and makes it easy to pull 100W power without worry.
The discharge curve is flatter than lead acid [agm/sla]. 

I'm fairly green.  My old Heathkit and Tempo One need the 110Vac and would suck down
the battery  fast.  But being battery powered makes its nice when others are in the dark.
that and its electronically different.  That and it gives me an excuse to build another radio
that runs on "12V".

Allison
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: