Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's get something straight about QRP!  (Read 25246 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 09:36:37 PM »

N2RRA Said:
People ask "why run QRP when you can run QRO ,or low power"? They make negative comments when a QRP operator wants to join a QSO ,or just make a contact. I hate that!!

So let's get something straight before the arrogance comes out of someone's mouth and is too into themselves before giving a thought that maybe a person is running QRP for a reason. Maybe this will play a role in the back of your anti-QRP mentality before dismissing a QRP caller , CQ'er ,or even one trying to make the same DX-pedition contact you QRO guys are making before you crush thier hopes with your low power to high power signals

I have been a ham for 26 years, and first got into QRP
about 15 years ago. All of my QRP gear has been built from
kits by myself. K2, MKARS80, BITX20A, SW40+, PSK Series
and White Mountain Series rigs from SWL, among other,,,,

In 15 years of operating QRP I have never encountered
any negative comments about it, either on or off the air.
I have never been refused a QSO. (I've had guys try
to copy me and fail, but that is a different thing). They
said (or say/send)"Sorry no copy" and NOT "Go away, I
don't a QSO with a QRP station".

I also enjoy operating QRO as well.

Where do you hang out (bands & modes) that
you experience such enmity towards QRP operation?
73, Ken  AD6KA

You're kidding right???  (Scratching head)  Huh

You mean to tell me after all your years you've never heard what many of us have heard before ,or even the old saying...Life's too Short For QRP?

Lets look at your bio from QRZ.com.

"I was first licensed in 1985 and finally earned my 20wpm Extra ticket in February of 2000 My main ham radio interests are RTTY & SSB contesting, especially RTTY. I also enjoy operating digital modes and chasing DX but am not fanatical about it. I'll make occasional forays into CW to keep my modest CW skills up, but I am not much good at itI also very much enjoy building and operating QRP kit rigs."

It seems to me you operate the digital modes more than typical phone (PH) QSO. Maybe you haven't encountered the verbal rants that come with clicks through out the 80, 40 and some times the 20 meter bands. Again, normally in the phone portion of the bands and not the digital portions.

My points are valid and my reason has credibility make no mistake. If you are insinuating that I'm hanging out around the wrong portions of the Amateur Bands then what about amateur radio are you suggesting is the wrong end? Clarify and pin point your suggested areas and with whom they might be, please!

I've been licensed since 1990 as a Technician plus+ with 5WPM and not a no-code. Then picked up my General and proficient up to 30wpm. I have over 41,000 look ups and not little over 5,000 look ups. I'm active in weak signal work SSB/CW/M.S. and operate FM along with Echo Link. My main activities are HF SSB/CW/Digital DX'ing and contesting both QRP and QRO levels. Just also getting into satellite work along with building and repairing my own various kits of sorts. I'm active on many of the amateur web sites holding conversations such as this both teaching and learning as one can always learn something new each day.

So it's "not where I hang out" to answer your question ,but it has been in my many years of heavy activity I've encountered such rudeness as such many of the other operators who have agreed and experienced what I have that can relate to my posting. If you can't relate I'll leave that up to you too put in the hours and work into this hobby like me and I assure you the experience will come along the way.

One last thing! Never did I say "Go away, I don't a QSO with a QRP station". That was never my choice of words ,or my complaint.

So please, if you're going to ask me such a question understand the choice of words I used and the context in which I used them as per the situations with accuracy. You will relate more to my posting with more experience. 

73!

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »

I've been licensed since 1990 as a Technician plus+
with 5WPM and not a no-code

I've been licensed since 1985.
I am not a no coder,
I took and passed all three CW test elements:
5, 13, and 20wpm
. In fact I passed the 13 and 20wpm
at the same exam session.
When *I* upgraded to Extra, the CW requirement
rules had not yet changed at all.

I have held Novice, Tech, Tech+, General, Advanced, and Extra.
ALL when they required 5, 13 or 20 wpm CW.

And no, I have nothing against "no coders", nor do
I consider myself a "real ham" for having passed
those CW exams.

Sure I've heard "Life's too short for QRP", but
I never took it personally much less considered
it an INSULT, or attack upon my character or
operating skills. For goodness sake man, lighten UP!

Release your rage my friend! Carrying
resentments is bad for your health.
Ken,  AD6KA
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »

My resentment lyes only within you insulting my intelligence and integrity when you insinuated that I hung out in the wrong places ,because you never experienced the comments on QRP like the rest of us. There's no mistaking how you asked your question ,or how you came across so yes, I'm going to take it offensive!

Now, too move on peacefully I was first licensed Tech+ at 13 wpm right off the bat. I could easily get my Advanced just haven't found a need too but I'm going to now that I'm going to say it here. I'm going to have it by the end of the year just because I should just get it out the way.

Everyone that posted here understands because at one point and time they too have heard ,or experienced my pain. It's not so much a pain ,but a rant indeed to let the nay sayers and give negative folks a little piece of my mind and to offer a little common sense if they can't get it. Doesn't hurt either to tell them to STFU!  Wink

Now that maybe you get the hint this post wasn't something I just was ranting about out of the blue and is something that wasn't a non existent issue so we move on and take it as experience, or a heads up in case you experience it one day. You'll have something maybe too toss at them.

73!

I'll always defend my beliefs and fellow QRP'ers!
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

I could easily get my Advanced just haven't found a need to but I'm going to now that I'm going to say it here. 

Really?
I wish you luck getting your "Advanced" ticket.
That ticket was discontinued a decade ago.  Grin
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »

I ment Extra, but better yet!  Tongue
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »

I ment Extra, but better yet!  Tongue

Go for it Eric!

Some folks say "Why? I only gain about 175 KHz
total of spectrum." But:
1) More spectrum is always good.
2) Lots of good CW ops hang out at the "Bottom 25 KHz"
of the effected bands, and they are really great guys.
3) Often DX CW ops will go on down to that section of
the band to get away from the "Mongol Hoards" Cheesy higher
up on the band.
4) This is especially true during the BIG RTTY contests,
where guys operate into the CW portions of the band.
But to my knowledge, even ops in foreign countries
can't operate Data modes THAT low in the band.

Just something to think about......

Good Luck going for Extra.
It's now a piece of cake, I have heard.
The old Advanced Written Element was the
most difficult of all (and it really wasn't THAT bad).
I don't know how much of the old Advanced material
they have incorporated into todays Extra.  But when
you read about 15 year olds and younger passing
all three current written elements in one setting,
it makes you wonder......how hard can it be? Roll Eyes

73, Ken AD6KA/5R8GQ
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »

I would definitely say to go for it as well. It's not that hard, given that all questions are published. The math is just about remembering a few formulas. I did pass all three exams the same day six weeks ago. I didn't think I would get the Extra, but passed. It was easier that way because the three books cover the same subjects, just more in depth for Extra. Practice tests do help a lot. You do enough of them and you will get to a point when you pass every single one. The ARRL books helped a lot too, they are well written. If you fail, you can probably take the test again during the same session if the first one didn't take you too long.

On contest week-ends, I am so glad to have the lower part of the bands. To me, buying a radio with band segments I can't use seems like a waste of money, but that's twisted psychology there  Roll Eyes I also didn't want a six-character call-sign, too long for CW. I don't know what my score was, they wouldn't tell me; probably not great, but enough. You also get bragging rights, LOL.

If someone asks me "why?" I'll reply "why not?"

Gil.
WA8IUR

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »

Life is too short to criticize what mode other hams use.  TIM WA8IUR
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »

to N2RRA and EVERYONE who is gone to take the Extra Exam....

Good luck to ALL...Eric you'll do just fine...just go for it! Please inform all us when you do pass. Thanks.

Best regards and many 73/72.

Don sr. - WA2TPU - A REAL 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »

to N2RRA and EVERYONE who is gone to take the Extra Exam....

Good luck to ALL...Eric you'll do just fine...just go for it! Please inform all us when you do pass. Thanks.

Best regards and many 73/72.

Don sr. - WA2TPU - A REAL 5 WATT QRP GREEN STATION.

Thank you Don for the words of encouragement and will do.

73!    Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: