The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna mount on JK Wrangler 70cm/2m  (Read 1860 times)
W9VMF

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »

Hello all,

Getting ready to upgrade from a HT to permanent install in my Wrangler.  I have chosen a Ft-8800E/R and have finshed the radio install and am pending to choose and mount an antenna.  I have tentatively selected a Diamond NR770HB (foldover) with a NMO mount.

I run a hardtop in the winter and softtop in the summer so that leads me to about 3 choices of mounting.  None of them will generate an "ideal" ground plane.

One of the purposes will be to cross band when out exploring the US of A in the event of any issues.  I live in Michigan but often travel out West so I am looking for something that would work in both areas.  I would consider 2 antennas, one for out west (less obstructions) and one for the local area

Antenna mount locations are:

A) side of hood or fender about 12 inches forward of A pillar on DS.
B) mount the antenna to an A-pillar light mount.
C) Mount it on the AEV tire carrier mast which places the entire antenna above the Jeep

I am leaning toward Option B for better protection of the antenna, but have some concern about the proximity to the A Pillar. 

Option A  seems to leave the antenna less protected.  Option C gives me the advantage of height by being completely above the body, but creates some Coax routing concerns and potentially some difficulty to gain a proper ground.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »

Mount it on the fender cap, like most of the off-road folks do.

W9VMF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »

I'm not keen on the fender mount as the sheet metal is thin there and I would have to drill into the fender giving me a place for rust to start.

I'd prefer the Diamond trunk / hatch mount over the fender mount if I go that way.   I was hoping someone had some recommendations on how to manage the ground plan in conjunction with some of the potential options for the antenna or mount.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »

What? The fender cap on a Wrangler is a separate piece of metal. You can buy a new one easily.

W9VMF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:25 AM »

Is this the mount you have in mind?

http://www.amazon.com/Accessories-unlimited-AUJ1-2007-UP-WRANGLERS/dp/B00IHMZT1S
K9PHT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »

When I had my Jeep Wrangler I added two of those LIGHT MOUNTS from QUADRATEC.  The slots for the external lights fits perfect for adding standard antenna mounts...  I was using the COMET SBB7 2M/440 Antennas on each side of the windshield.

Roy Ken
k9pht - King George
KF5QIU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 04:40:20 PM »

I used a larsen NMO mount on the drivers side cowl. There is a nice piece of foam you can push the antenna wire through and run it down the left side of the drivers footwell.  I have had not issues hitting a repeater from 20 plus miles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: