The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: speaker recommendations  (Read 4111 times)
KB3BYW

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »

I started to redo my mobile setup.  I have an HF and dual band mobile and will be including a CB (I know and don't want to hear about it).  I'm planing on building a custom hump mount for my truck.  I would like to include 3 speakers in the hump mount.  I would like to keep the speakers relatively small because of space constraints, 4" max.  Does anyone have an recommendations for me?  I was thinking about looking into car audio or home audio speakers.  from what I have seen while researching most communication speakers do not have a wide frequency response, a midrange speaker is much wider, how will this effect the sound?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »

You do not need a HiFI connection. The bandwidth of the received audio is at best 3 kHz. A decent communication speaker will easily handle the chore.

BHI and others make amplified mobile speakers with multiple inputs, so you use just one for all three transceivers.

N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:44 PM »

If you don't need the DSP, I really like these rectangular speakers for my mobile installations.

http://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-External-Communications-Speaker-Scanners/dp/B007841794/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435351400&sr=8-1&keywords=communications+speaker

I've also seen them at truck stops. They work very well
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 05:24:58 AM »

Motorola used to do some very nice communications speakers for their PMR business radios. A bit bigger than you want but the audio is great.

As pointed out, communications audio is from around 100Hz to 3kHz and car audio/hifi speakers tend to sound worse than proper communications ones.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:18:27 PM »

I use Motorola speakers in my cars and even in the shack.  You can pick them up for $5-$15 with a little hunting. More if you are in a rush.  Check eBay. The often turn up at hamfests, tailgating, sometimes in big piles.
K9PHT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 04:19:40 PM »

I used to be able to get alot of MOTOROLA MOBILE radio speakers but they are starting to thin out now.    I ran across this KENWOOD KES-5 External Mobile Speaker rated at 40WATTS.   Comes with mounting hardware.   This sounds great in my two recent mobile radio installs.   Got mine from AMAZON

Roy Ken
VK4SX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:57:48 PM »

Hi,  I dump the audio from the 480HX in an AMCOM base unit , and then into the Ford Rangers AUX input, works great, much more audio,
no AUX, use an FM sender, worth a try
Cheers
Dennis vk4sx

ps

I use same deal for 3 radios, with 2 rigs turned on at same time, level is decreased  a little, if you are concerned, and want to use vehicles audio system, there is a 2/4 ch 12v dc stereo amp from RPC for $20.00 USD,which also works great, as long as you plug in a 5.00 line isolator,
cheers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:27:13 PM by VK4SX » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: