Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid attempt, that actually worked extremely well  (Read 2127 times)
VIPER21700

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »

Well, as an experiment, just playing around tonight with my HT. heres the story
Recently picked up a double bazooka ten meter dipole for my PRC-104 HF set. Tonight, as an experiment (figured what could it hurt) I hooked it up with a bnc-sma adapter to my el-cheapo Baefong UV5R, and attempted to check into our repeater net. Mind you the antenna is ducktaped to the ceiling in my bedroom (in an apartment, space is a premium, and the neighbors dont appreciate guy lines running from the third story window to the lawn lol)
AND IT WORKED! The little el-cheapo chinese ht actually tuned to it! I usually have issues on the net even outside on my aftermarket comet 2m antenna, and everyone heard me loud and clear from inside the house. Im actually surprised, I figured that my VSWR would be through the roof using an antenna that wasnt made to 2m, but it works wonders!
Hey sometimes playing the devils advocate and trying something different actually works!
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »

Interesting. The HT doesn't really tune the antenna - it just does it's best to deal with what you've given it. I would suspect that you were actually transmitting more on the feedline, but it's nice that it worked for you. I once checked into our repeater from my basement using just an 18" coax adapter that I forgot to plug into my base station antenna's feedline. In fact, you can easily make contacts without an antenna at all!
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »

Suspending it from thumbtacks using thread might better than duct tape holding
it against the wallboard, but you do what you can.  I had a 2-element 10m beam
stuck on my apartment ceiling, but never managed to make any contacts on it.

There are many antennas that will "work", after a fashion.  In the local coverage
area of a repeater, it doesn't always require a lot of antenna.  I remember one
ham making an antenna by winding a wire up and down an 18" cardboard tube
so he had about 10 turns:  he could hit the repeater, which showed that it
worked!  Of course, I could hit it with a rubber ducky on low power, and sometimes
without any antenna at all, so that doesn't always tell you a lot.

But getting wire in the air is better than winding it in a coil, and you can be
surprised what can be pressed into service.  I made a contact using a tuner to
load the cord on my soldering gun - on 75m SSB.  My current 440 antenna is a
ground plane with 2 radial wires attached to the inside of my office window with
a suction cup, right behind the rig.  No problem hitting repeaters, and I can cover
most of the county on simplex using 5 watts.

A ground plane antenna for 2m probably will work better than the 10m dipole, but,
when you get stuck, try what you have available.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:50:35 AM »

Ditto that anything can be made to radiate, the question is if your stressing your HT's output device.

As an example; Time frame 1975: A 100 watt light bulb on the output of a Tempo One transceiver, Band: 15 meters. Results: A successful qso with a ham 5 miles away in the neighboring town.

The question is what's the forward and reflected power on your antenna.

Not knowing these new radios I don't know how rugged the output device's are on any of them.

Another good check to go along with a FWD/REF RF power meter would be an external power supply on the Chinese HT with a DC current meter to see what the Power amp efficiency is with your makeshift antenna.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »

Experimenting is always fun, isn't it?  "What could it harm?"--there's a possibility, as others have warned, that you could hurt the HT's output stages operating into a bad load.   But when it works, it's a world of fun.  Smiley   I made a 6-meter J-pole out of 450-ohm line to use in my back yard; turns out that it also tunes up pretty well on 17 meters!  I've made a handful of 2.5watt CW contacts on 17 meters with that J-pole.  Wink
VIPER21700

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »

I would run a thruline wattmeter on it if I had one lol. And if I do burn something out, Im only out 50$, which yes, can get expensive, but for a test it works lol.
 really? a 100W lightbulb? hmmm. I would love to try that sometime, hook that up to one of my gov HF sets couplers at work and see if the bulb would turn on hahaha.... Hmmm now you have me thinking outside the box lol.. Great my wife is going to love me now haha
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »

I once tuned up a 50 foot string of out door Christmas lights that were on the gutter. I was feeding it with 25 feet of two conductor extension cord, into the tuner.

Those lights tuned up with ease on 40 meters. I turned the amp on and ran 500 watts into them. I should have had my wife go outside and see if they were blinking off and on with the SSB modulation  Grin

It is fun trying different antennas, but if I were you I would be very careful with that HT, if that antenna has a high swr those finals are not going to last long
VIPER21700

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »

oh that would be funny as heck around christmas time hahahaha. I know at work, we tuned a PRC-119 to a paperclip for grins and giggles just to prove a point. we managed to actually get good comms across the parking lot. Heck, the PRC-150's we have at work we tuned to pretty much anything we hooked up too. My old Gny used to use stupid stuff as antennas in the field with the milspec comms gear. made a satcom antenna out of a pizza box and some comms wire, used a dead power line that was disconnected as a long wire antenna for HF. that guy was crazy.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »

Speaking of odd antennas and paper clips - here's an 80m 1/2 wave dipole made out of them - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMPDa8aPFqM
VIPER21700

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:26:30 PM »

That was awesome... a paperclip 40m.. I bet the local office supply company loved him hahahah
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

hi,

take a look at this great apartment antenna for 2m

http://www.k2zs.com/indoor-vhf-antennas/delta-loop.php

73 james
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:03:18 PM by KE4DRN » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: