Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One Amp 2 Rigs  (Read 3267 times)
W1KRK

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »

I am currently using my Ameritron 811 with my IC-7600, using the relay cable to activate the amp. Can I use this same amp with my Kenwood rig. i.e. using a splitter in the rear of the amp and using two separate relay cables. Obviously not at the  same time.
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »

I would recommend building/buying a switch box to do this, not having both rigs connected to the amplifier at the same time.
I built a small switch box with a strip of connectors for each radio and the output to the amplifier on the rear.  I used a multi-pole/multi-position ceramic wafer switch inside to make the connections. 

What you don't want to happen is a fault in the amplifier cause damage to both radios by directly wiring them to the amp. 
Isolation is a prudent concept in this application. 

There may be a commercial switch to do the same from MFJ, DX engineering or Array Solutions but my project was done 10 years ago...

Greg
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:34:27 AM »

Should work, no reason not to...

You'll want a 2 pos. antenna switch between the amp and the 2 rigs so you can select what rig is going to drive it.

What you may want to do for the amp key signal, is to install a diode in-line with each rig, then connect it to the amp. This would prevent the amp key signal from one rig, getting into the other rig and visa versa.

If you're using ALC on the amp, should not hurt to feed both rigs at the same time with the ALC signal. Otherwise leave it disconnected for a trail basis...

This would be a cheap way to try it, or go with a rig control box....(sorry forgot the name of the unit).

Bart
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »

I am currently using my Ameritron 811 with my IC-7600, using the relay cable to activate the amp. Can I use this same amp with my Kenwood rig. i.e. using a splitter in the rear of the amp and using two separate relay cables. Obviously not at the  same time.

Yes you can use a splitter for this as I have for many years. Some make a big deal about this but there is no need too. All you are doing with relay control line is keying a ground to energize relay and nothing more.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »

Just found something neat at Radio Shack that works really nice.
Its sold as an A/V Switch Cat# 15-312.
It's an A-B switch with RCA only connections for video, audio left/right in, then A or B with the same configuration out (video,audio Left/right)
Internally it has a pair of multi-contact switches.

I'm routing the audio through the video (yellow RCA) connectors.
Relay and Alc through the audio (red/white RCA connectors).

Works perfect....for about $18...
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »

Just curious. How are you handling the RF drive from each transceiver to the input of the RF  coax connector on the amp. Do you have a switch for this also or do you disconnect one when using the other? You sure want to avoid sending any RF back into the idle transceiver via the coax. If you use a switch what mfg is it? Does it ground the unused transceiver connector? I looked for something commercial built for sale but did not find anything to satisfy all the requirements. Keying the amp relay is no problem. Also the AlC on an AL 811 could be left unused for most tube amps.
I would not have the unused transceiver power on anyway as Murphy's law seems to follow me. I would advise
the origiator of the thread to build a switch box to take care of this venture like someone else suggested. That's the safest route.
Frank
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:35:31 PM by K4RVN » Logged
KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:48 AM »

Frank,

I used a two position antenna switch...on the RF side.
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »

AT one time I had 4 radios hooked to one amp it was very easy. I found a used Bird 74 coax switch 5 position for $100 on QTH and bought it, these are quite expensive new $500+ range and rated from 1.8 MHz into the GIGA Hz range and plenty of power handling. It also has excellent isolation from the other coax inputs. All radios went into the switch and a single coax went to the amp and all the antennas hooked to it (4).

The Bird switch is a round cylinder 4"x4" with a face plate with all 5 coaxes marked to change them you pull out on the switch then turn to the # where you want it then push it down to make a positive contact with no danger of being accidentally moved. They come with N connectors but you can buy N to standard PL-259 adapters is what I did and just screwed them on.

Fred/N0AZZ
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »

To Kb3HGR.

Thanks for reply.

Frank
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

Yes you can use a splitter for this as I have for many years. Some make a big deal about this but there is no need too. All you are doing with relay control line is keying a ground to energize relay and nothing more.

That's only true if both rigs actually use a keying relay for the pulldown function.  If they don't (many rigs use a transistor switch for this, and not a relay), there can be a problem -- for sure. 

Check to see what your rig actually uses to key the amp; if they use mechanical relays, there would never be a problem.
ZL4IV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 02:39:10 AM »

I hear that Emtron will offer as standard 2 inputs and 2 outputs fully switchable.
ZL4IV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: