Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats in your "GO Box"?  (Read 23358 times)
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 09:39:02 PM »

- LED Head lamp

I have a UV-5R, one of the cheap HTs from across the pond.  I had laughed at the LED flashlight on it... until we lost power during Isaac.

I actually used that up at the club station.

The LED Head Lamps is a very good idea... leaves your hands free.
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 06:28:33 PM »

Hello,

I have a Pelican 1400 case, with my Elecraft K1, 2.9Ah battery, end-fed dipole, and a DCP paddle mounted on a Rock-Mite 40.
Not in the case, but with it, a Buddistick.

Gil.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 06:00:34 AM »

Since this listed under emergency communications, I will assume this is for emergencies and not just for field day.  Wink

If your local ham club is properly organized, why would you have to "go" anywhere? They should have a map with the call signs of each ham radio operator in a neighborhood who can report conditions and needs during a bad situation to the local EMS office. All your equipment is already set up and you are with your family, which is where you should be in a disaster.  Shocked
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:07:37 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »

A man is only as good as the 'unit' he is responding in when the sh!t hits the fan. The BEST equipped Go Box is of no use if you can't get to the emergency scene 'before' the police/fire depts do. Also having direct communications to the PD/Fire dispatcher is essential. You need to let them know when you 'hit' the scene and are 'out of your unit'. A good PA system is a life saver if you need to clear bystanders from the scene. So get that unit warmed up and the yellow vest at ready. And most important.... Lets be careful out there !
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »

A man is only as good as the 'unit' he is responding in when the sh!t hits the fan. The BEST equipped Go Box is of no use if you can't get to the emergency scene 'before' the police/fire depts do.

That is true assuming that the objective of the go-box is to assist local emergency agencies with communications. It is not true if the go-box's reason to be is gathering potentially life saving information for the benefit of family and friends.

So, it all depends on where you're "going."

Gil.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:55 AM »

No, it's not true. He's drunkposting again.  Roll Eyes
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »

Since this listed under emergency communications, I will assume this is for emergencies and not just for field day.  Wink

Field Day is supposed to be a test of your emergency equipment, not just a QSO party.

Paul - AE5JU
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »

I already said that and you quoted me, so what is your point?  Roll Eyes
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

Hmm, I can't believe I am going to reply to this, mostly because I would not GO so it's really not a GO Kit, but it's portable, transports the radios, and can be deployed in remote locations with no external power supply available so it fits the description.

Radios
VHF 512 channel 50 watt Astro Spectra with P-25
VHF 128 channel 110 watt Spectra
UHF 128 Channel 110 watt Spectra (Motorola)
Icom 706 with tuner.
Motorola laptop with programming software and RIB to make changes to commercial radios (Spectras listed above)

B&W folded dummy load antenna (folded dipole) 160 - 10
OFC dipole 80 - 10 (both antennas are in a bag for easy transport.
Air ball launcher w/12 volt compressor (can also be used to air up tires)
48 foot break down mast (aluminum sections)
tower harness, ropes and other gear if climb is warranted
6 bank gang charger with combo of VHF and UHF HT 750 and 1250 HT's
UHF repeater powered from 12 volt or 110 source for local comms

large cooler for food
5 gallon water cooler
double six pack coolers (2) for food/ pop

6 man tent, sleeping bags, weeks worth of clothing,  fire ring, camp stove, weapons transport for hunting

Case that carrys it all is 2 tons plus.  4 wheel drive, has on board 1750 AC power, 12 DC power from battereis and 140 amp
generator.  Carries 27 gallons of fuel in on board tank and has rack to carry 20 more gallons in Jerry cans. 

Dodge Branded, Durango Model.

Go kits are for sissies.  Build a truck, or a 4X4 SUV.  Hauls more, goes anywhere, hauls lots of equipment.  It's really a better option.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »

My fully equipped Go Box is 32 feet long, has it's own built in generator, solar power, a shower, bathroom, fridge and my Go Box starts up with a key and it can be instantly deployed at a moments notice.

KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »

I am not much for the whole emcomm thing.  That being said, I do on occasion go out and setup remote.  I camp alot and the 4X4 SUV gets me into some pretty remote locations.  I have owned a number of 4X4 vehicles and all but one were roomy enough to carry a weeks worth of supplies, gear and still provide space for shelter if needed.  The little Suzuki's are not much for space. but a Ford F-150 with 4 wheel drive and a reasonable set of tires is a formidable vehicle.  Add a cap to the bed with raised shelves in just behind the cab and you have the makings of a go anywhere RV.  Get a drop in camper and you really up the ability.  Draw back to that is it's rather top heavy and tall, limiting it's fuel range and ability to go off road to some degree.

My take would be this.  If I am going to go deploy in a disaster situation, I would think that being able to be fully self contained, and fully mobile would be a better option than a box or bag with a radio and a few extra batteries.   
RFDOG

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »

Ah gots me mah freeze dried foood, main gun, backup gun, raydee-o, back-up raydee-o...  sheesh...
VE6FGN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

Forgive my if I'm stirring things up: I assure you that's not my intent....but I have to ask: why the animosity?

Understand that we have some folk who try a little too hard, others that seem to relish the idea of saving the world.

I'd suggest that there are plenty of hams who respond when called, do what they're asked, and go home when done...without fanfare or a cape.

If I was a young guy looking to do a little community service and read the previous thread, I'd look somewhere else.

Just sayin'.....
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 04:53:07 AM »

Forgive my if I'm stirring things up: I assure you that's not my intent....but I have to ask: why the animosity? ...

I guess some people just have to make fun of anything and everything.  Sometimes minimal warning lights are needed, but granted, all too many of these people go too far.  On the other hand, some people are just jealous....   Roll Eyes
W0DLR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »

You forgot some items.  A reliable hearing aid and batteries, a working Handi Talkie and batteries, but the antenna is still hoome in the box the HT came in.   A walker, poli-grip, a dead flashlight, prune juice if you are gone over 12 hours, part of a map, and then forget where you are going while enroute.

These items are essential since no one will be responding under 70 years old, for very long at a time.  A pitiful excuse for Emergency Communications.  I don't know why Hams aren't content to let the hobby be just what it is, a hobby.

W0DLR
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: