Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Cellphone Repeater  (Read 7694 times)
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »

I used one of the Wilson repeater units for a while.  It was not great, but it did give me one room where the cell phone worked.  I did not use a directional antenna, just an omni up in a tree.  Would have worked better with a directional antenna.
Jimmy N5VSB
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »

Hi Tom,

I've tried a number of "passive repeaters" in commercial VHF/UHF FM systems since 1975 and never had enough success to add them to my regular bag of tricks.  Sometimes they appeared to work to some extent.  Anytime a user needed just a pinch more signal somewhere the "passive repeater" would come up.  But the issue always seemed to be expense.  If a user needed just a little more signal into a building or room, they often could not justify the cost of a bi-directional amplifier.  The "duct-tape and bubble gum" two-way dealers would always quote the down and dirty pair of quarter-wave magmounts with a few feet of RG-58 connecting them.  Once the customer saw the low, low price of that kind of passive repeater, they would seldom even agree to the price of two good 8-9dBd Yagis with some low-loss hard line connecting them. 

We stopped wasting time with the passive solutions and began going only with BDAs or Distributed Antenna Systems.  Still, the determining factor was usually high gain directional antennas on the outside with an omni antenna inside and located as close to the area of desired coverag as possible.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: