Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need balun for end fed wire to tuner  (Read 1753 times)
K6CA

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »

Hi all,

I know there is a big impedance difference between a 1/4 wave and a 1/2 wave end fed wire antenna. I just don't remember what it is. I have a 1:1 and a 4:1 balun that I need to use to connect to my LDG tuner. What would be the better choice for the 1/4 and the 1/2, or even for a random length in general. Oh boy, that could be a book but any help greatly appreciated. Trying to make the best out of a hotel room portable setup.
Thanks and 73,
Tim
K6CA
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

Half wave end-fed impedance is about 2000 ohms. The higher the radio in your balun/xfmr, the better off you'll be. 4:1 is a start, 9:1 would better. Or use a premade end-fed and skip the tuner - PAR used to make them, they're made by LNR Precision now. Check the reviews on them here.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »

The actual answer is it depends, Ldg is an indoor auto tuner so assuming that your antenna lead is entering the shack I would place the tuner as close to the antenna entry point as possible then use a coaxial cable on the tuned side of the tuner to the equipment across the shack or another room etc the feedline loss is minimized when done this way.
Therefore returning our attention to the tuner I would place a high power quality 1:1 current balun at the output side of the auto tuner one could use a male to male UHF adapter for balun to tuner connecting. Then attach the antenna lead to the proper balun terminal.
In addition since you are going to press this 1/2 to 1/4 wave vertically oriented wire into multi band service going upward from your exit point I would seriously consider a equal length counterpoise wire following the direction of the antenna wire, an elevated wire about 2ft or so above the ground and directly underneath. Connect the counterpoise wire to the opposite balun terminal and keep the counterpoise wire isolated from earth ground another words keep the elevated counterpoise wire insulated from anything use a plastic tent stake out at the dead end.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »

Try both baluns to see which one the LDG prefers.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

What are you using as a ground system for your antenna wire?

Are your baluns of the current or voltage type?

I guess the most important question is, WHY do you think you should use a balun
with an end-fed wire?  The tuner us unbalanced, and the antenna is unbalanced.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: