Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for schematic, etc.  (Read 1568 times)
K7MDO

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

Having searched the BAMA site with no luck I wonder if anyone of you folks might have hidden in your shack a manual or schematic for an old CB.  It is KAAR Electronics model 8925.  I don't seem to find any references to it on the web.  At least none that are specific to this model.

It is a robust little AM transceiver, crystal controlled on 11 meters... however it is so well built I would think it might have another life to live as a 10 meter qrp AM rig.

Anyway just asking, thanks, Tom
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:02:06 PM by K7MDO » Logged
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:00:07 PM »

Hey Tom, are there any other model or part numbers?
I am checking the photofact index, and Kaar is listed, but not that model.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »

I did some surfing and came up empty as well... I have a feeling the 8925 is a chassis number and not the model. Usually if you can find anything it's up on CB Tricks but no go on the "Karr" radios. Advertising only:  http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/karr_engineering/tr_327/ad/index.htm

Any chance a TR 327 looks familiar?

BTW: I have an old Kaar marine band rig that I picked up back in the 20th Century. All tube except for the DC-DC converter circuit, one 6883 (twelve volt 6146) in the PA, plate modulated AM on the old 2 MC marine band. Thought I'd move it over to 160 but it's a beast in terms of current draw. Best bet would probably be to modify something like a Heathshkit PS-23 to eliminate the whole 12 volt DC concept, but that sounds too much like work and I don't have the space for a Top Band wire anyway. D'oh! Nicely overbuilt radio that's well preserved and looks like a quality piece.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:46:55 PM »

You lmust be correct on the model....  it is odd but the model number is right behind the word MODEL on the back.... but the picture of the 327 looks just like it... this one appears to have a vibrator in it and the back is marked 6vdc/117vac....  My bet is that it is pretty early to have the 6 vdc for battery operation.

I will dig a bit on the 327 information.

I can probably dig out the wiring but see a few parts in the thing that I don't recognize and am interested in knowing what or how the circuit worked.

One nice feature is that it is switch crystal controlled but also has a switch position for variable control for AM receive....

I just can't believe how well it is built inside and am having a hard time throwing it away... will report findings.

Tom
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

Well, you are right.... the unit is either a TR-333 or a TR-333B or D-phone TR-327 or (A) or (B)

Not sure yet which and still don't have a good lead on the schematic... though there are a couple of references to sams cb-5 pg 57 and CB-8 page 53.

In the pictures I see there are the two different models and mine has the channel switch position for "variable" receive and/or external crystal on the front panel...

Anybody know if the SAMS are available or ?

73, Tom
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »

FCC Part 95 sez CB transmitters must be crystal controlled and within a few parts per million or some such while the RX can be VFO tunable. On 60's vintage gear you'll often see two crystals per channel with maybe six channel capability, or rockbound TX with a tunable RX so you could figure out which channels were worth buying a rock for. Looks like the Kaar offered insta-tune if you were willing to buy the RX crystal, or a VFO if you weren't a high roller.

As for Sam's Photofacts... You Betcha! Still in bidness and waiting for your order at:   https://www.samswebsite.com/photofacts.html   A search for Kaar gave me three different models, and Sam's CB-8 is probably the one you want, but laying eyeballs on that book will set you back $22.00...  Angry

There are also indies like this one with Photofact scans they offer for download as low as $4.95: http://www.theschematicman.com/  I'll assume at that price you get the pages for one model only, not the entire volume.

Makes me wonder how much of a copyright issue is involved with the downloading for dollars concept, but for all I know they're both the same outfit working hi-ball and lo-ball like a car salesman would.   Wink

Never change a password on a Friday                
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »

Thanks very much....  I'm not sure of the $22.00 level but $4.95 isn't too bad!!

I have identified mine through pictures as a "333" not the "327".  That is a huge step forward in getting a diagram...  I am sure you are right it looks like I have both xmit and recv crystals and the optional tunable receive. 

This all is probably a waste of time as the unit is compact enough and specific enough in function that modifying it for 10 meters may well be useless.  But.....  what else have I got to do... ?

Oh, I forgot I have a Viking II in the shop and apart, an Eico 730 and two 720's apart and waiting parts for resuscitation.... and a station monitor in the design phase and ..... a wife ..... still.... may buy the Sams anyway...

73, Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: