Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 for CW?  (Read 11828 times)
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »

I've got a '480 and have had a couple of '850s.  Both did/do me just fine with CW.  It's more about the user's adaptability than the radio's capability I think.
I also don't much care about the 'size' of a radio.  Bigger is better as I've gotten older, easier to see/use.  Which amounts to how compatible are you and the radio?
Built-in tuners.  I like those thingys!  May not use it all the time, but they certainly come in handy, just in case, you know?
Oh well...
 - Paul

K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 07:52:24 AM »

Thanks for all the reply's.

I decided on a new TS-480.  I got it from HRO for $950.00 (Kenwood is running a rebate of $250 until the end of the month) and they delivered it overnight!!  They've been selling used on Ebay for around $800 so for the extra $150 I have one that I won't have to worry about with a full year's warranty.  Hope to be on the air by the weekend.

Thanks again.

99.9% of the time I'm on the air, I'll be on CW.
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »

Congratulations. Did you go with the 200 watt version? A full gallon on 30 meters would be kinda cool for a cw guy. A new rig is a huge thrill, I'm sure you'll enjoy the new addition to your home.
      73 de Tom, ab9nz
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »

Thanks, I went with the 100 watt version. I liked the idea of the built in tuner.

This is my first new rig in over 20 years so I'm really looking forward to it. 

Yesterday, I went out looking for some coax to throw up a quick dipole only to find out that NOBODY sells it anymore.  Now I have to order some online and wait till it gets here.  Was a time that Radio Shack carried it, but not anymore. Angry

K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

Up on the new TS-480.

I have had my TS-480 now for about 3 weeks & I have to say that I'm very happy with it.  Since Oct 3rd I have worked 71 countries and every continent, all with a Windom antenna and all on CW.  The receiver is better than I expected but the addition of the 500hz filter would help in some of the pileups. 

It's small size lets me keep it right on my desk next to my computer.  I purchased a control cable from RT Systems (since Kenwood doesn't sell one) which lets me control the radio using my computer with HRD software.  Set up couldn't have been easier. 

My last radio was an IC-735 back in the 90's, which was a decent radio back then.  Maybe not having had anything made since then to compare the TS-480 to prior to buying it was a blessing in disguise since I didn't (and still don't) know how much better they can get.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the new rig and plan to keep it for a long time. (Or until I get the itch for something with more bells & whistles LOL)

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »

I have had my TS-480 now for about 3 weeks & I have to say that I'm very happy with it.  Since Oct 3rd I have worked 71 countries and every continent,

Congratulations! Sure is FUN getting a new radio broken in, isn't it?  Smiley  Have fun, and 73!
K2TTM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »

It really IS fun.  Especially when you've been off the air as long as I was (about 15 years). It's like a new hobby all over again LOL.

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »

Welcome back.

I have a TS-850SAT (since new in '90) and it has a built-in digital voice recorder, CW memory keyer, CW "REV" tuning capability, and all sorts of stuff the 480S doesn't have. 

I don't know about other stuff compared to a 850, never used one, but the TS-480 has 3 memories for cw and "CW REV".
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »

Welcome back.

I have a TS-850SAT (since new in '90) and it has a built-in digital voice recorder, CW memory keyer, CW "REV" tuning capability, and all sorts of stuff the 480S doesn't have. 

I don't know about other stuff compared to a 850, never used one, but the TS-480 has 3 memories for cw and "CW REV".

850 was a nice rig in its day but pretty dated today. It is the 480 has "stuff" that 850 does not. Were it the CW auto tune button on 850 for one. How about built in keyer. Even 570 had this too but not 850.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: