Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing Aids  (Read 377 times)
KI6FEN

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »

For those of you with hearing aids, do you find it better to use headphones or speakers?  Do you keep your hearing aids on or take 'em off while operating?

Last week, my Dad and I were listening in on my NorCal 40 with two headphones.  I had it adjusted so that even at full RF gain, it wasn't very loud (even for my ears).  He wears hearing aids and was having some trouble with the headphone volume being too low.  
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:41:04 AM »

I tried a pair of communications headphones (freq response about 300-3000 Hz) that had very large earcups so someone wearing the behind-the-ear hearing aids could actually get some audio into the pickup with the 'phones on.  They were quite comfortable, and one of the other folks there - a guy with normal hearing - could take the phones from me and listen without having to adjust the volume.

These were home-brewed 'phones; I don't know if there is any such animal available commercially.

Usually, at home, I just leave the aids on.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N6VL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »

Hi Doug,

Nice to work you on 80 CW again!

I also hear hearing aids. But each person's hearing loss is different. I am only 50, but have been wearing hearing aids for over 3 years now. My loss is relatively flat across a wide frequency range, but especially kicks in around the speech frequencies.

I use the Heil Proset Plus for listening to CW. I use it both with and without my hearing aids. There is a 30 to 40 db difference when wearing them. I found they are large enough to fit around my ears and not cause oscillations. I tried the Heil Quiet Phones, but they weren't deep enough to fit around my hearing aids, so there wasn't a good acoustic seal for the noise cancellation to work. I have behind the ear hearing aids, meaning many headphones don't work for me.

The only problem with the Proset Plus, is that the microphone can't be removed. I never use it, since almost all of my activity is CW these days.

I hope this helps!

Steve N6VL
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:30:29 PM »

Does the hearing aid have a "T" coil? These are designed to provide magnetic coupling for sound systems in public areas. You can get a loop that goes around the neck. I would expect you could attach that to the receiver headset jack and listen directly from the hearing aid without using any headphones at all. You might want to add a pair of diodes across the input to privide hard limiting so you don't get "blasted" from a sudden strong signal.

You might try to some professional sound installation sights on the Internet to get more information. I believe Telex makes some equipment. You'll find the loops as an accessory product for the hearing assist receivers.

W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »

I think there are two issues; type of hearing loss and type of hearing aid. It may be that your father cannot hear the c.w. note as well as you. You would need to compare his audiogram with yours to see the differences in hearing thresholds and frequency responses.

Second, some hearing aids' pick-ups are not located in the ear canal, where headphones direct the bulk of their audio. So-called "behind the ear" hearing aids have their microphones totally outside of the ear canal, and the actual hearing dome, from which the audio is emitted into the ear canal, may act as a sound baffle to unamplified audio.

Stew, W5FYI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: