Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth beam  (Read 11055 times)
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

I think your idea of one or more beams in the trees is asking for a lot of needless hassles.  Since you say you're interested in DX on a single band, 20, why not go for a system of switchable phased verticals with decent radial systems for that band.   Verticals should be relatively easy to hide in all those trees you mentioned and they only need to be about 17 feet high.  They can be constructed from lighweight inexpensive aluminum tubing sprayed with camo paint.  

If you want to buy your way onto the honor roll, spend a lot of money on a new CCR-free QTH.  Then invest in a bunch of towers,  beams and rotors.  Get a big amplifier and hang out on the DX clusters day and night.  Whatever turns you on!  But first, decide whether you're more interested in the destination than the journey.  It's a Zen thing!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:27:37 PM by N4UM » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »

I have had a "stealth" 20m beam installed on my house for about a year with no complaints (I'm in a CCR sub-division).  I have the Cushcraft "The Director" MA5B up at about 18' tucked in by the rear of my house.  The beam is just high enough to clear the roof edge as it rotates.  I painted it flat black so it blends better with the roof shingles.  It has the RS TV rotor to turn it.  I painted the feed cable the same color as the house so you have to look hard to see them.  From the street they are unnoticeable.

This weekend I just had a 20m QSO with ZK1JD in the South Cook Islands.  I'm in central Florida and the beam was pointing NW, it should have been SW.  I was pushing about 40 watts in a Yaesu FT-840.  While I was weak, it was a solid contact.

KG4SPA

The MA5B is the smallest 20-10m beam I could find and it doesn't cost a lot.  Give it a try.

Glad to see hams are picking up on my suggestion to paint their antennas black to make them disappear and protect them from corrosion. The $.99 flat black spray paint from the big box stores is the cheapest and  very effective. You can also see if you missed spot. You can't see that with clear coat.  Wink
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: