Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tooele county restrictions  (Read 4404 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

Hi does anybody know if tooele county city of erda utah has any restriction for antenna towers?
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

http://www.co.tooele.ut.us/PDF/Land_Use/chapter4.pdf

Tooele county has 29 chapters covering land use. To view different chapters change the 4.pdf to another number. I looked at them all and had it search for amateur but found it only in chapter 28 where it states that this chapter does not pertain to amateur radio. With comprehensive land use rules they must have some for amateur radio antennas or perhaps they do apply the chapter 28 rules to amateur towers.

Or try this link:

http://www.co.tooele.ut.us/Engineering/landuseord.html

In any event you will be subject to the airport height restriction. I would call the county at (435) 843-3160.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:37:47 AM by WX7G » Logged
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »

Hi call the county they where very kind but I am not sure if the are sure how to deal with that situation they told me if is more than 35 feet I need to summit the plans for a hearing and pay a fee that i think is either 300 or 400 dollars I guess they send letter to neighbors to see their concerns. to me after I read chapter 28 sound like they don't have rules that apply to ham radio but still is kind of obscure what to do and I meantion that to them so they where like mmmm .
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »

How tall do you want your tower to be?
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »

I would like around 50 feet
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:59 AM »

I ran an EZNEC model of a 14 MHz dipole at 35 and 50 feet above ground. At a take-off-angle of 5 degrees the difference in gain is 2.7 dB. While nearly 3 dB is significant I wonder if it's worth the cost of a taller tower, the permit, and the uncertain process. If you're not running an amplifier now you might consider a 35' tower and an amp.

I live in Stansbury Park with HOA antenna restrictions and partially compensate for a stealth antenna by running an amp. I work 160-10 meters with low band DXing being my favorite ham activity.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:13 AM »

I am not sure if the are sure how to deal with that situation

I would bet they don't.

they told me if is more than 35 feet I need to summit the plans for a hearing and pay a fee that i think is either 300 or 400 dollars I guess they send letter to neighbors to see their concerns.

That sounds a lot like a variance process which for amateur radio, or specific accessory structures, may not apply at all.

Before you go jumping through a lot of hoops, read the code and understand specifically where *your* exact structure fits in.  Maybe contact a few hams in the area that have towers and learn what process they used to get their towers up.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:26:07 PM »

Hi does anybody know if tooele county city of erda utah has any restriction for antenna towers?
Contact the Volunteer Counsel for Utah.  If anyone would know, he would.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »

Sounds like a perfect situation for a 35 foot crank up tower that can reach 50 feet when extended. Spend your money on the tower, not the hearing.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: