Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to combine tigertronics and amplifier PTT cable?  (Read 1740 times)
ON4CKM

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:06:55 AM »

Hi,

I have an ICOM 706MK2. It has one ACC port (13 pins) but I want to connect 2 devices: a tigertronic interface for digital modes and a PTT cable that goes to my amp. Is there a way? Can I just split the cable without problems?

Cedric
ON4CKM
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:04 AM »

You can probably just split the cable with no problem.  What I'd do is to put a silicon diode in series with each device PTT line to provide isolation between the two devices.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:30 AM »

can you get a cable from Tigertronics for the 6-pin Mini DIN socket.  This is a very standard connector, and should handle all you digital needs, audio RX/TX and PTT.  This leaves the 13-Pin DIN for your amp control.

....bill  nr4c
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »

I would second using the 6 pin mini-din instead of the 13 pin for the SLUSB.

However, PPT lines can be "paralleled" by placing small signal diodes in each line, with direction of flow pointing at the controlled device. BUT... in your situation, that won't work, as the SLUSB would still key the amp.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:55:33 PM »

The 706MkIIg PTT line is both an input and an output. If you ground it then the radio goes into transmit. If you key the radio via the mike (or other means) then the radio pulls the PTT line to ground. If you connect two wires to the PTT pin, one going to a PTT switch and the other going to an amp then closing the PTT switch will key both the radio and the amp.

It seems to me that it wouldn't matter if you use two DIN connectors or just parallel the PTT connections inside the one 13-pin connector. In either case the two PTT lines will be connected in parallel since the two PTT pins are connected together inside the radio. No diodes are needed in this application. When the SignaLink pulls the PTT line low, both the radio and the amp will be keyed. Assuming that you don't wan't to use the amp with digital modes you would just have to turn the amp off before keying with the SignaLink.

Make sure that your amp PTT circuit is within the voltage and current capabilities of the SignaLink. (i.e. you wouldn't want to connect an old tube amp that applies 100+ volts to the PTT line).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: