Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to answer a CQ  (Read 4265 times)
KH2BR

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »

How do you answer a CQ in cw ?

If your not in a contest, you answer the CQ with the calling stations call sign then DE and then
your call sign.

Many times some stations just throw out there call sign as if they are in a contest.

KH2BR

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:16 AM »

Hi,

Nice to meet you.

Yes you are right, There are manuals printed by the ARRL, named "Operating Practice" that subscribe  how you exactly have to behave yourself.

Like a robot.

But  yes, we are hams, and all the day you have to behave yourself like other people subscribe, so in your leasure time you may be not willingfull to do what the ARRL subscribes you have to do in your leasure time.

So when I sent cw: cq cq de pa0blah [ar] k  and somebody else comes back  with a quavering sound QRL ? QRL? I answer: "No I am retired for 30 yrs already", and he comes back with cq cq de K8AXW, pse k.

PSE is polite

His quavering sound, probably due to the combination of his daily recipe of alcoholics in combination with his age, that makes his fist kind of trembling.. then he  replies : cq cq de K8AXW , he probably copied me, but doesn't like to work me, so I change the band and go to 80 m where I meet people I like.

Disclaimer:
All names, calls and other identifications  are fantasy and have nothing to do with real world. Every correlation is pure random , there is no  coupling meant whatsoever with the real world at all.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:25:58 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

Robert, often guys run just as if they are in a contest, and I get the impression that the prescribed sequence or any pleasantries are really just an irritation to them. Aloha, de Tom ab9nz
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

I guess a pile-up is a kind of contest, then...

...though how any caller picks a responding callsign out of an average pile-up response is somethinng of a mystery to me.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:34 PM »

I guess a pile-up is a kind of contest, then...

...though how any caller picks a responding callsign out of an average pile-up response is somethinng of a mystery to me.

Phone or CW, it isn't very hard to do and it's a blast.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »

Phone or CW, it isn't very hard to do and it's a blast.

I've been on the receiving end of SSB pile-ups, and managed somehow or other (and it was fun of a sort, I guess), but when listening to CW pileups everything gets mushed together into a mess of random noise. I guess some of that's down to the Morse being far faster than I can read, but even so, it seems a rather trickier task...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »

KH2BR:  How you answer a CQ depends on who is calling.  The proper way most of the time is the "robotic" method of calling the station and signing your call.

However, if the calling station has created a pileup, then you'll find that most responding stations simply throw in their call only.  That way it takes less air time and the calling station can work more.

Quite often, if you use the robotic procedure, when you finally sign the K and go back the calling station is already in a QSO (?) with someone else. 

I question "QSO" because all it is an exchange of signal reports.  Nothing more.  Not much of a "QSO."
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:08:41 AM »

Most times when I hear someone calling CQ, I simply send K3TN back once or twice depending on conditions. I figure the station calling CQ already knows his call - no sense sending him something he already knows.

If the frequency is crowded and there might be some doubt who I am coming back to, then I will send his call de my call.

If he comes back to me and sends only "5nn BK" I do the same. If he sends "RST NAME" I return "RST NAME QTH " to see if he wants to talk further and so on. Easy way for me to match his intent without sending a lot of unnecessary characters out into the ether.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:43:57 AM »

Most times when I hear someone calling CQ, I simply send K3TN back once or twice depending on conditions. I figure the station calling CQ already knows his call - no sense sending him something he already knows.

Thought wrong IMHO, may be you can't even decode  Morse, and find his call on a DX cluster, or bought (buyed) Skimmer. Kind of guys that are in the mean time the majority and they proposed ARRL to hand out DXCC-CW for no code technician licensed. The majority has to say it in a democratic organised society as ARRL actually is. Isn't it?

BTW I admire Government in the USA that let you buy your status by a 1x2 call, otherwise - when you are a real OT just as I am,  licenced for 65  years (since 1947) with a 2*4 call -  you are the victim of that policy.
So, imaginary "status" can be bought. Clever idea, will yield large profits for government. I expect that, knowing the behavior of people in my long long life. Makes me think at the spam advertisements that let you buy  your PhD, or the ones that promise you surgery that yields  longer genitalials (men only)  saves finally much money, because at the same time you do not need that large 120 ft  tower, that 4 kW 3 phase amplifier and that Ferrari Testarosso. (Clever selected name)

sending a lot of unnecessary characters out into the ether.
ether is not to sent characters in, it is a fluid to sniff , so you can exercise the "eternal noise fields without QRM" "the heaven" "the Valhalla" or what your specific by you adapted religion promises you. I respect that.  It will be your eternal faith, some religions are preferred by male, and homosexual female, because they believe that you get 7 times 7 virgins at your disposal.

But when your call should be  K3TNK I assure you, that is is certainly better to repeat your call always twice. When you work QSK you will find out that during your repeated K3TNK they are already answering with your call being K3TN.

73 John K3TN

Have a good day John, just let those wooden shoe walkers talk out of their neck (translated Dutch proverb)
73 Bob PA0BLAH

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:22:56 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

If the frequency is crowded and there might be some doubt who I am coming back to, then I will send his call de my call.

If he comes back to me and sends only "5nn BK" I do the same. If he sends "RST NAME" I return "RST NAME QTH " to see if he wants to talk further and so on. Easy way for me to match his intent without sending a lot of unnecessary characters out into the ether.

73 John K3TN

hi john

After listening to many qso i agree this is the most common response. Especially with any dx they expect just your call....

73 marc hs0zju
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »

I always send KH2BR de K7KBN K, and that's what I expect to hear if I'm the one calling CQ.

Even when I was operating from Singapore for a few hours in 1993.  There was a huge pileup, but the calling stations invariably called 9V1YW de _____ K.  This gave me time to center the one station I wanted in the filter and made for an orderly QSO.  I was using wabun (Japanese), and my host was from Finland.  Every time an OH station called, he took over and used Finnish -- very confusing language.  But we had fun on 15 CW

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 05:15:09 AM »

73 John K3TN

That's all very well John, but I have had situations where I have been called by a station just giving their call and I've trundled on giving the calling station all my details only to find he is not calling me, but someone else, maybe a DX station 1KHz down. I don’t use full break-in all the time, so who is in the wrong here? It makes you feel a right plonker when you realise you’ve made a mistake because the calling station hasn't used your call.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: