Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low cost digital kit?  (Read 3436 times)
NICKA

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »

I'm new to ham, studying for my ticket, and looking at my first radio to buy. I don't want to spend much money right now, and I'm most interested in the digital modes. Does anyone know of any kits that are available for low cost that will do digital modes such as PSK31? I'm hoping to be able to get something for around $50. It seems there used to be a kit called the Warbler that may have suited this need, but it's discontinued. Are there any others that people could point me to? Thanks.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »

Nope. and not for $50.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:07:22 PM »

My first thought was that you need to spend more money. 

"Digital modes" are essentially SSB -- any transmitter that will accept a PSK31 audio input signal will, equally well, accept a "phone" input signal.  So the minimum circuitry will include a receiver that can handle SSB, and a transmitter that can handle SSB.   The circuitry can be single-frequency (14.070 USB for PSK31), so you don't need a VFO.

My second thought is that, for low-power operation (which is what the WinWarbler would give you), an SDR (software-defined radio) transmitter might be a good choice.   I don't know what's available.   But if you have a reasonably-fast computer to work with, you might find something on the market.  It might only give a 1-watt signal, but with a _good_ antenna, that's enough for some PSK31 work.

When I was in a similar situation years ago, I looked at the inexpensive kits, and single-band radios, on the market.   I finally bought a Yaesu FT-817.  It wasn't cheap, but it was reasonably compact, and gives "all bands, all modes" capabilities.  I still have it 7 years later.

If you have a ham club nearby, join it.  You might be able to borrow somebody's old SSB rig, until you have enough money for your own.

Charles
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »

And on this very website, on this very forum, from a few days ago:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,85035.0.html

Charles
KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:44:59 AM »

Check out the Peaberry SDR  (basically a softrock with a soundcard)

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Software-Defined-Radio-Transceiver/2439/1

http://ae9rb.com/catalog/index.php
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:49:47 AM by KX5JT » Logged
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

If you have a radio and computer, you already have the major components for digital. You can build an interface from scratch for about $20.00 out of pocket. So in answering your question, Yes you can get on digital modes for less then $50.00 if you already have the rig and computer!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: