Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond DXCC  (Read 5522 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »

I just noticed this award on the ARRL site. Anyone trying for this? Looks like a sprint for 1 year.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:42:23 PM by N4NYY » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »

I've been plugging away at the award since the beginning of the year. I have the wallpaper hanging up already and just going for the endorsements. There were some strange entities back in the 30's and it's tough to get a few of those. It's also frustrating not being able to add current DX'peditions (aka Swains) since it didn't exist as a country back then Smiley But it's fun and the ARRL just recently made it easier by adding a Online Application similar to their normal DXCC version they have now.

John K7KB
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »

Somehow, I just can't get into this-- working the world as it used to be.  I have DXCC credit for some pretty exotic deleted entities, e.g. Netherlands New Guinea, Zanzibar, Kamaran Island, etc., worked during the early 60's. 

But then, I only half-heartedly participate in the CQ DX Marathon.  Just don't see the point in working stuff I've already got.  My goals are CW Honor Roll (need only one more to qualify), 30m WAZ (need only one zone), 5B WAZ (four zones), and as many as I can get for DXCC Challenge (right now I'm struggling to keep from getting bumped off page 7 of the list). 

Chuck  NI0C   
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

I've been plugging away at the award since the beginning of the year. I have the wallpaper hanging up already and just going for the endorsements. There were some strange entities back in the 30's and it's tough to get a few of those. It's also frustrating not being able to add current DX'peditions (aka Swains) since it didn't exist as a country back then Smiley But it's fun and the ARRL just recently made it easier by adding a Online Application similar to their normal DXCC version they have now.

John K7KB

Maybe I misunderstood the rules. Which entities can you use?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »

Never mind. I found it.
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »

I'm at 109 or 110, don't exactly remember.

Since it is a one year long program, and the certificates are
NOT numbered (Like the ARRL Triple Play is/was) I will submit
my application later in the year (like December)
Would like to get to 125, but I REALLY doubt I'll get there.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »

I am somewhere in the 80's And I did not know about it until today.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »

I am at 127 or 126 I can't remember exactly.  I can't say that I have been very diligent about the thing, but what the heck. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »

I'm pretty amazed that my total is up to 183!  Grin

I just started chasing DX-peditions back in February--something that I really hadn't done since I was in college 27 years ago!  I figured that if I had a respectable total at the end of the year, I could probably get on the Honor roll, just by plugging away for a decade or two. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:54:52 PM by W1VT » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »

I'm pretty amazed that my total is up to 183!  Grin

I just started chasing DX-peditions back in February--something that I really hadn't done since I was in college 27 years ago!  I figured that if I had a respectable total at the end of the year, I could probably get on the Honor roll, just by plugging away for a decade or two. 

You have 183 in 2012? That is great!
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »

Well just for fun last night, I went through my mobile logbook looking for these diamond countries.
I had like 130 and I was only working the DX that was around when I was out mobile. Not chasing some award.

Not sure I will even pony up the $12 or $13 for another paper.

I bet no one can get all 226 !

73 Tony N5UD /M
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 05:49:59 AM »

Just don't see the point in working stuff I've already got.

There was a guy here last year who had honor roll and claimed to have never had more than 400 QSO's in his entire life. I'm not sure I believe him but that isn't an uncommon attitude.

There was a story in QST about a guy who had honor roll for many years but only recently had obtained 5BDXCC. At the same time I have 5BDXCC and am nowhere near honor roll!!!
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »

There was a guy here last year who had honor roll and claimed to have never had more than 400 QSO's in his entire life. I'm not sure I believe him but that isn't an uncommon attitude.

There was a story in QST about a guy who had honor roll for many years but only recently had obtained 5BDXCC. At the same time I have 5BDXCC and am nowhere near honor roll!!!
Well I question the 400 QSO bit. Why be a ham if you don't make QSOs ?

The Honor Roll and 5BDXCC I can sure accept. Just have a good setup on 20M, the money band, and make honor roll.

73 Tony N5UD
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:42:07 AM »

Its just for fun and nostalgia. If your not interested don't do it.
I'm a bit older and I got my ticket in 1978 and started SWL in the late 60's - maybe right at the peak of the big SW broadcast stations and not too many years after the big colonial powers began shedding their empires. The world was still big, but shrinking fast and military personnel were still on far away Pacific Islands. Stories of clandestine hams operating on Pacific Islands during WW2 were still popular, DXpeditions weren't that popular and many times the only way to work many African countries was to find a missionary (or maybe some embassy personnel) - who used ham radio for actual communication - not DX'ing - hence the name the "Terrible T's" (still not easy but not the Terrible T's they used to be).
And you have to think back to the 1930's before WW2 and DXCC was in its infancy. And amateur radio was not that old either. Actually radio was not that old. So you can imagine with amazement hams working DXCC back then. (You didn't exactly run down to the store and pick up an Elecraft K Line, tower, and StepIR.)

Places like the Gold Coast, French Indochina, the Caroline Islands, etc... its a reminder of the geography and history of many of these places. Its kind of neat that 7O6T would have counted as Socotra Island - not Yemen.

The world have changed much in 75 years, so even if someone doesn't send in for the certificate, just looking up the history of these places and what was going on in the 1930's is interesting - especially from a ham radio perspective.

I'm up to 105 QRP.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

Congratulations on getting them with QRP!  That is how I learned DXing--running an Argonaut and a 10/15M quad on a mountain ridge in the middle of the Pacific.  I'd work those European DX-peditioners as they island hopped around the Pacific.  And, once I got skilled enough, actually worked a bunch of rare stuff in the Indian Ocean.  Being a newbie, I didn't appreciate the rarity of some of those countries.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: