Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond DXCC  (Read 5479 times)
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

John, thanks for pointing me towards a new goal and award.  Now maybe I'll start paying attention to these entities that I've been passing up just because I worked them in a previous year and they're LOTW confirmed.  Even with that I still racked up a good total so far and the year isn't over yet.
Randy AJ4RW
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »

Randy: Good luck on chasing the award and hope you have some fun working some of those elusive 1930's entities.

John K7KB
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »

I apolgize if I came across as a curmudgeon in my earlier response to this posting.  I wish everyone good DX hunting, no matter what your particular goals are.

Chuck  NI0C
PB1TT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »

I still don't have a clue why Swains (NH8S) wouldn't count for KH8 (American Samoa). Before Swains became a separate entity, it counted as KH8. Only because it's more than 300 k away from the other islands, it became another entity.
Checking Wikipedia I found that Swains has been officially part of American Samoa since 1925. So, if this award is about working the world as it was in 1937, then surely Swains would have to count as American Samoa.
73, Peter PB1TT
PB1TT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »

Just got word from ARRL (Bill Moore NC1L) that NH8S will be ok for the "Samoa, US" entity of the Diamond DXCC.
"Samoa was on the pre-WWII list so since Swains was part of this entity it is OK on the list".

73, Peter PB1TT
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 02:55:36 AM »

Just got word from ARRL (Bill Moore NC1L) that NH8S will be ok for the "Samoa, US" entity of the Diamond DXCC.
"Samoa was on the pre-WWII list so since Swains was part of this entity it is OK on the list".

73, Peter PB1TT

This note is on the ARRL DXCC Challenge website:

"NH8S - QSOs with NH8S (Swains Island) do not qualify for any Diamond DXCC entities.  Only contacts made with stations on American Samoa (KH8) qualify for DDXCC entity American Samoa."

That was as of Sept. 7th.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:00:14 AM by NU4B » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 09:26:12 AM »

Nice to reflect over how the year has progressed!  Of course, the process of filling out that form was a little daunting.  Still enjoyed it and still have a little over 3 months left.  Hope to make 200!
Randy AJ4RW
PB1TT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »

73, Peter PB1TT

"NH8S - QSOs with NH8S (Swains Island) do not qualify for any Diamond DXCC entities.  Only contacts made with stations on American Samoa (KH8) qualify for DDXCC entity American Samoa."

That was exactly the message I responded to with Bill.
I guess/hope the webpage will be modified soon. If they don't, I will ask Bill to do so.
73, Peter
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »

73, Peter PB1TT

That was exactly the message I responded to with Bill.
I guess/hope the webpage will be modified soon. If they don't, I will ask Bill to do so.
73, Peter

Good job, Peter - on the research and follow up. It would be nice if the ARRL includes Swains with KH8 (1937).
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »

I noticed this award about a month or so ago. At the time I think I had about 70 on the list worked. Since then I've been working at it here and there and now I'm at 127 with the certificate up on the wall. I still have some easy ones left. I'm guessing I'll finish out around 140. I'm doubtful I'll hit 150 but you never know..
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »

Well I question the 400 QSO bit. Why be a ham if you don't make QSOs ?

I know an Extra Class ham who only works locals on FM because he says he doesn't 'know' anyone in other countries so why would he want to talk to them. He only wants to talk to those he knows locally Huh

Me, I have nearly 10K QSOs in LOTW and just under 5K QSLs and still haven't made HR, much especially Top of the HR! And I only have 2 bands of DXCC but closing in on the other 3 quickly (think I am within 10 Qs on 40M and 10M and just over half way on 80M).

It's not so much the quantity of QSOs but the repetitiveness of QSOs that challendge your achivement levels. If all you work is contests, you may have a lot of QSOs but maybe not 5BDXCC or DXCC HR.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »

Many extras in my radio club are VHF/UHF FM guys. They never make HF QSOs.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 02:14:07 PM »

GOOD!   That eliminates at least that many of them from becoming lids and bothering me during rare DX activations Grin!
73, Gene AF3Y
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »

GOOD!   That eliminates at least that many of them from becoming lids and bothering me during rare DX activations Grin!
73, Gene AF3Y

LOL. The club is 100 members strong. I think maybe 20 are DXers. You had to see me during a VHF/UHF D-Star program. I say there witha blank a stare!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »

Well, sitting at 149, I'd really like to hit 150 if I can. I had 150 but a station that was originally reported from gdansk was not so it was removed. I still have hope, I see a few I need posted here and there, its just a matter of being on at the right place at the right time..
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: