Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who can pay for licensing fee?  (Read 4907 times)
KC9GMX

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »

I teach a tech license prep class. I had a question the otehr day that I didnt have a clear answer for.
If you have an answer for me, please direct me to the part 97 rule, and an explaination to your interpretation to that rule.

One of the guys taking the class is a volunteer with the county EMA. He is taking the class for his own pursuit of an interest in amateur radio. However, his EMA director told him when it came time to take the test, the county would pay for his filing fee.

There is no expectation for this person to use his ham license directly for EMA duties, but they do have a ham radio at the Operations Center, and there may be times when he could have the opertunity to talk on the ham radio there during incoming severe weather, parades, or just plain talking to other hams.

I dont see this as being any different than a husband paying for the testing fee or buying his wife a radio.

Seems like a lot of people have been getting bent over shape lately with the combination of ham radio and government services, so I thought I would take the time to see what others thoughts are on this.

Steven KC9GMX
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:49:03 AM »

Pay the fee out of pocket, submit the receipt for reimbursement.
WT3O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:56 AM »

There is no "licensing fee" or "filing fee" with an amateur radio license, unless the person is getting a vanity call sign.

You are probably thinking of the ARRL VEC fees, which are about $15. These are fees the VEC is allowed to charge for examinations. Some VECs (like the Laurel VEC) do not have any exam fees.

Since these fees are not paid to the FCC, but rather the VEC administering the test, I don't think they care who pays for the exam fee.
KC9GMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

WT3O, I knew that, but it never dawned on me, and of course that makes perfect sence. Thanks for the clairification.
Steven
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »

It don't matter who pays the VE fee just so the test fee is paid. As for him being in EMA and the EMA office having a ham radio it's not a big deal unless he is a PAID EMA member. When I was in EMA only the director was paid, all the rest of us were volunteers, even the officers.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Seems like a lot of people have been getting bent over shape lately with the combination of ham radio and government services, so I thought I would take the time to see what others thoughts are on this.

Steven KC9GMX

Reading more than what is in the rules.  Must have way too much time on your hands worrying about where an applicant gets his money from...

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: