Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SH 2m all mode. TS700 or IC290A  (Read 1207 times)
VK5DO

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a second hand 2m All Mode and have the choice between a Kenwood TS700 or an Icom IC290A.

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Dene
VK5DO, VK4TN

TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 04:25:25 AM »

Depends if you're operating mobile or base station. The Kenwood is the better rig of the two but a bit difficult to mount under a dash.

Tanakasan
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »

Research the web for known issues with each radio. The advantage of buying used include price and reputation of the model, the disadvantage is that history and condition of any particular radio play a much more important role than the original specs when new. If it isn't new it's silly to assume it will perform like new even though you'd really, really like it to. Sometimes a little cynicism is a good thing, sometimes you'll get lucky despite yourself. Every offer is a fresh roll of the dice. One model might be more suitable than another on features if you have a specific need and that's where your research pays off, but if one was used mobile while another wasn't I'd definitely go with the non-mobile radio. Extremes of heat and cold will age a radio prematurely and sometimes you can't tell by looking. There's also the possibility of a botched modification or a small issue that grew larger when someone applied their IG-42 and golden screwdriver. Whenever you buy a used radio you buy the history as well.

Research the going price in your area as best you can, and if any seller tells you they don't know much about the radio because they're selling it for a friend..... Thank them for their time and walk away. That's the code phrase for unloading a bench queen.

Never change a password on a Friday                
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:17:34 AM »

Hi,

I still have my much loved (once) TS-700 which had been extensively modified, to try and compete with later generation radios.

It's very dated by the standards of modern rigs, and huge, heavy and under powered (10w O/P) for mobile operation.

From memory the 290A wasn't that popular in it's day, and personally I'd avoid first generation radios with digital circuitry. The Yaesu FT 480 was also pretty bad.

My advice would be to save up a bit and go for something more recent. Unless you are really into retro radios :-)

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:39:03 PM »

I have owned both a TS-700S and the IC-290A (and the IC-290H).  The Kenwood is all-around a much better radio than either of the Icoms.  Unless you absolutely care about the size, don't bother with the Icom and get the TS-700.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:14:34 AM »

The 290H is a great little rig albiet well dated; while the 290A looks the same except for the digital display being a different color was/is not such a great rig.

I am not that much into Kenwood's rigs but sight unseen I would probably go with it over the 290A.  Now if it was the H model I'd sure like to A/B them together before making a choice.

One last thought.....if you're looking at it for some FM use, there is no CTCSS encode; for SSB if it's like my area it won't make a lot of difference because, sadly, no one is ever there.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »

Jeesh, I have a TS-700 around here somewhere. Bought it around 1977. Quite costly then. Yes, 10 watts and nearly as big as an HRO-60. LOL!

I've actually been meaning to put it in the trash sometime. I assumed it had almost no value. Surely there are better options.

K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »

The TS-700S is my primary 2-m weak-signal rig.  It works great.  They still do command a premium if in good condition with no mods (or at least professional-looking tone boards, etc).  I am about to sell it to reduce the size of my station, but if it weren't for that, I would keep it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: