Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dug Hole for Tower WET  (Read 6935 times)
KB8VIV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »

I had the same thing happen when I erected my tower.  The hole filled up with water, same sized hole by the way.  Just used a bucket to get most of the water out, dumped the concrete, all was good.  A little water isn't going to make a difference.

I'll bet I didn't even have to remove the water, the concrete would have surely dispaced the water forcing it out of the hole.  Good luck with the tower.

KB8VIV
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

Pete, your picture link says "Error 403 - Forbidden You tried to access a document for which you don't have privileges."

Let's see if this works: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=285
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »

Nice tower and antennas! Did you have any issues with the town about permits or whatever (from another Jersey ham!)?
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »

Very nice antenna farm , Pete.
I think I have some control over my tower project, knowing that I have not hit an underground spring or draining water.
I have a tamper and more rocks and blue stone, that WA2CWA mentions, and will wait for another dry spot before pouring.
I'll 'borrow' or rent a bucket truck from a friend of mine and hoist the top section and pre-assemble the mast/antennas, before the real cold wx arrives. I'll post a link with some pics.
Electrician drove some ground rods for the tower and house electrical system.

fred
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »

I just finished up  almost the same thing here.  It has been over 6 years since the start. two years to get approval from the folks at the city to have a variance  approved for a tower on a city lot, about a year and a half  getting the building permit stuff handed and about 6 months to get some one to dig the hole, ( 3x3x3) and another year and a half to get all the parts, pieces, and junk  for a 40 foot rhon 25 with a glen martin hazer on it for my 3 ele steppir.  but it was worth it. it was on a 15 foot roof tower, and that was not so good, too flexible.  so have fun.  by the way I am a 100 % disable vet, so I had to depend on all my friends to handle the actual  work, thanks to them I have a great setup.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »

I just finished up  almost the same thing here.  It has been over 6 years since the start. two years to get approval from the folks at the city to have a variance  approved for a tower on a city lot, about a year and a half  getting the building permit stuff handed and about 6 months to get some one to dig the hole, ( 3x3x3) and another year and a half to get all the parts, pieces, and junk  for a 40 foot rhon 25 with a glen martin hazer on it for my 3 ele steppir.  but it was worth it. it was on a 15 foot roof tower, and that was not so good, too flexible.  so have fun.  by the way I am a 100 % disable vet, so I had to depend on all my friends to handle the actual  work, thanks to them I have a great setup.
You will enjoy these nice toys before winter sets in. 3 ele steppir, nice

Fred
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 12:06:57 PM »

Fred,

Can I assume you've already tried the obvious?

A "MOP"?   Grin

Good luck with the tower.

Terry, WØFM
AE5JU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »

First, cement does not dry, it cures.  The water in the cement slurry is incorporated into the crystalline structure of the concrete.

Second, even if there is a little water in the hole, the cement slurry is denser than the water, the water will float on top.  As you fill the hole to the top, the water will flow off of the top.

The density of the cement slurry will hold back any water trying to intrude into the hole while it cures.

So, all of that is a non-problem.

The most important thing is, will the size / depth of your concrete foundation support the tower adequately?  Will you have guywires to keep it up?

Paul - AE5JU
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »

Please stop ragging on Fred.

klc
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 03:52:43 AM »

Please stop ragging on Fred.

klc

lemme find that old "Rag MOP" record..........Hi Kevin
Maybe I mentioned a page ago that I used my Shop-Vac to suck out the water. About three shop-vacs full of water and then pointed window fans in there for two days.
I'm ok on the hole for a self supporting Rohn 25G 30 feet. 3X3X3 feet deep. The antennas will be a 3 element 6M beam and a mag loop RX antenna.
Today 9-22, I hope to be pouring concrete in whatever happens to be in the hole with the 3 foot tower base and the first 10 foot section. Re-bar, gravel, check and re-check for plumbness, the whole ball of wax. It's been raining off and on overnite, my luck, and the hole should be dry or minimally damp. I have tarps attached everywhere to prevent water from draining in. The tower is close to the house so, I am relying on the eves to protect a certain area.

Fred
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »

Poured in a sprinkling rain and protected from rain drop splatters.
Curing as I write this..........finally complete.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

Huzzah!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »

Yea... I have been playing with my new tower and am having a ball.  the same antenna was at 33 feet on the 15 foot roof tower  and just 15 feet above the roof. it worked OK there but....  at 40 feet and at the edge of the roof, its more like 25 feet over the mass of the roof now, as the roof slops away, and now it is working gang busters.  I have worked Indonesia, Falkland islands, Guam, Martinique, Aruba Brazil Costa Rico, swains island and of course several us states, mostly on 10 meters, and some on 12, 15 and 20, and all at 100 watts on the steppir.   Yea, the bands are open, but this at 100 watts and only 1 or 2 calls, I am stoked.  have fun with your new  tower and keep us posted.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »

One yard of concrete is an appropriate base for a Rohn 25 or 45 guyed tower, not a crank up or self supporting tower.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »

I'll post a picture of the base and first section when the WX clears. I now have a Photobucket to share pictures on eHam.
Around OCT 15 or so, I'll be able to complete the other two sections. I did not want to disturb or start loading anything on the fresh concrete and allow a while to cure, since it has cooled down so much since the middle of Sept. I thought I read two weeks curing before loading her up.

Fred
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: