Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone Thought This Was A Good Idea...  (Read 8270 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

...if you want an overpriced computer that appeals to your need for nostalgia, visit an Apple store.   Roll Eyes

Never change a password on a Friday                
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

It's probably better than my new Dell desktop or my new Dell laptop but even a good old Tmex Sinclair would beat any Dell anyday.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

...if you want an overpriced computer that appeals to your need for nostalgia, visit an Apple store.   Roll Eyes

You're in the dark ages.  Computers are passe' .    Tablets are in,  and Apple is king.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »

There are many millions living in the Dark Ages. Join our club !

Mel G0GQK
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »

You're in the dark ages.  Computers are passe' .    Tablets are in,  and Apple is king.

Spoken like a true Apple golem...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

My name is Eye-Gore, not EE-Gore......... (c) Melvin Kaminsky, Young Frankenstein.

What prompted me to bring this exciting new Commodore product to your attention was two-fold.....

1)  Last time I visited a big-box appliance store (Translation: Best Buy) I was shocked to discover they had exactly THREE traditional desktop mini-tower type computers on the floor. Two of them were discontinued and marked down to below dirt cheap. The selection of notebooks, tablets and smart phones was infinitely larger and more diverse. That tells me where the market is going and no pregnant keyboards were on display.

2)  With this in mind, Apple still markets several full sized machines for their professional graphics market and they aren't anywhere close to cheap. Very impressive specs with a cost of admission at the $2.5 kilobuck level for the bargain box. The iMac is now an all in one monitor plus keyboard and starts at $1.2 k-bucks.

Which Means:  You can buy a pretty nice iMac for less than the C-64 clone and I can't recall any Apple product ever being accused of being a loss leader within its market niche.

3) So here's the point..... Who in their right mind would drop $1,295 for the useful version of a Commodore 64 look alike PC? The stripper (which does not include a motherboard let alone a video card or RAM and has the same functionality of a Pet Rock) is $395. It is possible to buy a low end notebook or a mid level tablet for the same or less that DOES come with  motherboard, video card, operating system, etc. etc. etc. and can do useful things straight out of the box.

Boggles my mind to think that someone believed that bringing back the C-64 could be a marketable idea...

OTOH, for all I know there are people who will buy damn near anything in December and maybe that's part of the plan.   Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »

It's probably better than my new Dell desktop or my new Dell laptop but even a good old Tmex Sinclair would beat any Dell anyday.

Oh I dunno, I'd agree I wouldn't buy any of their consumer gear but the Precision series is one of the best company made computers I have ever used outside what I build. Been running 4 years almost 24x7 and is stable, fast and still going!
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »

Apple became a PC years ago when they lost to Intel, just because they wrap it in aluminum and charge you more for it doesn't make it better. Wink
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:23:15 AM »

Hmmm, seems to me as though it's the free market at work--they're free to market what they want and you're free to not buy it if you don't want to.

I first saw the "new" C64 a couple of years ago and while it's not something I'd spend my money on, for those so inclined, knock yourselves out!  I understand the retro appeal and for some people, that's all they're looking for.  So long as they're free to make that decision, who am I to complain?  The existence of this computer has no impact on me one way or the other.

73, de Nate
Bremen, KS

SKCC 6225
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »

I can't see supporting such a relic.  I went through FIVE of the units in the first few months due to hardware failures, and "undocumented failures," until I got a REAL computer, an Apple ][+.  That worked reliable for years, and is still cooasionally used for packet radio.

One "joke of the day' was that the space shuttle initially carried dozens of Commode Door 64 computers , and swapped them out until one would actually work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: