Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on the Flex-Radio Flex-6000 Series  (Read 23595 times)
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »

Oh Gene!
Spank me, spank me I've been bad! I have tasted the "KoolAid" and I like it!
They do offer a 30 day return if you are not happy with what you get you know.....
Pay no attention to me, my wife tells me I am just "difficult" ...
Bruce
AB1KC
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 08:30:28 AM »

I would have replied to this post earlier but I had 8 tabs open on my IPad and I was so stressed that I had to take a nap!
Information overload! All those tabs at once.....
What was I thinking?
I think I will sell my IPad, maybe go back to a simple, reliable Commodore 64.
Anyone want to trade a nice IPad for.......
Bruce
AB1KC

No, that's not the analogy at all.  How about surfing on 7 iPads while having a Skype conversation on the eighth.  That's more like what I am talking about.  Your eyes and brain are going to process more like the analogy you provided, one tab at a time. Let's tie it all together now.  If you only use one tab at a time, why do you really need 7 additional virtual slices all open and running at the same time?

Like I said before, you can do this today with a $900 QSR1 and Studio 1 if you want to be able to glance band to band, or tab to tab.  Why pay $7500 for that capability?

Here is a link where you can see this capability already.  You don't have to pay big dollars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOjHTS5AhCc&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhf6Zb-Xn40&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You miss my point.
Who says you need to open all slice receivers at once?
Just because tha capability is there does not mean it is an optimal use of technolodgy in every case. I certainly would overload. This argument as a reason to avoid this radio is just kind petty.
I own a QSR1. I know what it can do.
Bruce
AB1KC
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 08:43:58 AM »

I would have replied to this post earlier but I had 8 tabs open on my IPad and I was so stressed that I had to take a nap!
What was I thinking?
Bruce
AB1KC

No, that's not the analogy at all.  How about surfing on 7 iPads while having a Skype conversation on the eighth.  That's more like what I am talking about.  Your eyes and brain are going to process more like the analogy you provided, one tab at a time. Let's tie it all together now.  If you only use one tab at a time, why do you really need 7 additional virtual slices all open and running at the same time?

Like I said before, you can do this today with a $900 QSR1 and Studio 1 if you want to be able to glance band to band, or tab to tab.  Why pay $7500 for that capability?

Here is a link where you can see this capability already.  You don't have to pay big dollars!

I find I use a maximum of two receivers in my operating.  I agree, there is no reason to try to manage listening to a multitude of receivers.  It may be a neat gee-wiz, look what I can do feature, but it is not very practical in daily use.  The max receivers I have used is three, and the third one was squelched to just monitor a frequency for activity.

Gene
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:46:27 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »

Oh Gene!
They do offer a 30 day return if you are not happy with what you get you know.....
Bruce
AB1KC

Bruce, I could care less what you spend your money on.  If you want to pre-pay for a radio that has not even been demonstrated yet, then that is your prerogative.  I just think it is pretty foolish.

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »

IMO, Flex Radio had to go way overkill on the Flex-6000 series to keep it priced considerably above the Flex-5000a.  Otherwise it would just be a replacement for a 5000a. 

Gene
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »

Oh Gene!
Bruce
AB1KC

Bruce, I could care less what you spend your money on.  If you want to pre-pay for a radio that has not even been demonstrated yet, then that is your prerogative.  I just think it is pretty foolish.

Gene

Oh no, he has spanked me again!
Bad Bruce, bad bad bad!
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:29:54 AM »

What was I thinking?
Bruce
AB1KC

You miss my point.
Who says you need to open all slice receivers at once?
Just because tha capability is there does not mean it is an optimal use of technolodgy in every case. I certainly would overload. This argument as a reason to avoid this radio is just kind petty.
I own a QSR1. I know what it can do.
Bruce
AB1KC

No, I get it.. So now we get to my other question in my other thread.  How are you going to make use of this radio verses your QS1R that's going to make it worth the extra dollars?

Now, if you just say its because I want one and that's really all there is to it, I am good with that.  I am seriously looking for reasons other than coolness and newness that people might think having this radio in their shack is going to make a huge impact over what's currently available. 

No need to even reply if you don't want.  It's the answer to that question I am seriously interested in.  I don't care about flex or not to flex, I still own a 5K and it does a fine job for me for the most part.

Gene, I agree about the slices, even Studio 1 can be overkill.  I have been playing with it on the KX3 and I had three all running and it was overkill already.  Two had some real utility in being able to look at a wider swath of spectrum in the extra slice.

Again, I have no problems with people buying stuff because it looks fun and cool.  I am certainly guilty of that on occasion. Smiley

N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »

I am a Flex Fan Boy TM and am proud to admit that I have drunk gallons of their Coolaid (yum!!).
On 9/14 I worked NH8S via CW on 17M at 00:37 when the propagation was poor from my QTH near Detroit. Was using my 5000a at 80 watts and a SCG-239 tuner to a wire of unknown length (the far end broke in a wind storm). By watching who he was operating last I was able to make the QSO even with a lot of big guns around me. Without the panadapter I would have been operating blind and no amount of knobs on a regular rig would have been able to help me.

Zack
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 09:53:23 AM »

I am a Flex Fan Boy TM and am proud to admit that I have drunk gallons of their Coolaid (yum!!).
On 9/14 I worked NH8S via CW on 17M at 00:37 when the propagation was poor from my QTH near Detroit. Was using my 5000a at 80 watts and a SCG-239 tuner to a wire of unknown length (the far end broke in a wind storm). By watching who he was operating last I was able to make the QSO even with a lot of big guns around me. Without the panadapter I would have been operating blind and no amount of knobs on a regular rig would have been able to help me.

The "VFO-B" knob on a regular rig works fine for me. I just tune around until I hear the station currently working the DX and bang! there I am. No magic or mystery about it, and DXers have been doing this for fifty years before Flex came on the scene.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

Well that is a nice thought to use VFO-B but he was bouncing around like crazy. Without the panadapter I would have never been able to figure out his pattern.
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »

No, I get it.. So now we get to my other question in my other thread.  How are you going to make use of this radio verses your QS1R that's going to make it worth the extra dollars?

Now, if you just say its because I want one and that's really all there is to it, I am good with that.  I am seriously looking for reasons other than coolness and newness that people might think having this radio in their shack is going to make a huge impact over what's currently available. 

No need to even reply if you don't want.  It's the answer to that question I am seriously interested in.  I don't care about flex or not to flex, I still own a 5K and it does a fine job for me for the most part.

Gene, I agree about the slices, even Studio 1 can be overkill.  I have been playing with it on the KX3 and I had three all running and it was overkill already.  Two had some real utility in being able to look at a wider swath of spectrum in the extra slice.

Again, I have no problems with people buying stuff because it looks fun and cool.  I am certainly guilty of that on occasion. Smiley
[/quote]

That is a fair question, I will do my best to answer.

No radio is perfect, they all have issues! I love my Flex 5000 though and I could live with it for a long time. It does exactly what I want and it does it pretty well.
I see the Flex 6000 series as a natural progression of the line. It will go a long way to correct some of the weaknesses in the other series. Cw should be great with this radio, many of the issues I have sucessfully conquered with the help of Flex tech support will be more easily accomplished with this radio. Virtual audio cable set up, remote set up, CW Skimmer set up etc.

The challenge of setting the Flex 5000 up is what defeats many of its would be users.
I have a terrier like tenacity when it comes to  challenge. I find the answer!

In the end I love the way the radio (Flex5000) works. The receive audio is just lovely, you can do exactly what you want with transmit audio, the visual display of the spectrum is just like a drug, I can no longer live without it.....

The 6000 will do all of this and it will make the task of getting there easier. Yes it will take time and  there will be "issues" along the way, yes it is an expensive radio.  I have the antennas I need to take advantage of the 6000's wide, wide receiving abilities already in place.

The radios new capabilities will allow it to do things I can not even begin to understand yet. That is just icing on the cake!

If the radio is a dog, I will take my punishment like a man. I doubt it will be!
I have certainly made bigger mistakes in my life than this "gamble". Flex has been nothing short of outstanding in their support of its products when I need help. Like TenTec and Elecraft, Flex gets just the best marks from me. I am not worried at all.

As for the QS1R, although it is a fun radio it never fulfilled its promised role as the software promised was never delivered for my use. It is fun and capable but not what I am looking for. I want a  transceiver not a collection of radios and the associated issues of timing a switch to protect receiver front ends during transmit.

By the way, I would happily sell it if anyone is interested....

Finally the 6000 has a cool factor and I want one! I ordered it on the first day it was announced!
I can't wait!

Bruce
AB1KC
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »

On 9/14 I worked NH8S via CW on 17M at 00:37 when the propagation was poor from my QTH near Detroit. Was using my 5000a at 80 watts

Without the panadapter I would have been operating blind and no amount of knobs on a regular rig would have been able to help me.

Uh excuse me but I have worked NH8S NINE times. On Different bands and different modes. Did you get that? NINE TIMES. I did it without any panadapter or second receiver. I was operating blind  Cheesy with a Kenwood TS-590s and only used TFset control to help  me find the right freq. It was easy. NH8S is certainly not DX I would brag about as it is one of the easiest recent Dxexpeditions to work.

However you brought it up. So what does this mean? I worked NH8S NINE TIMES and you with a Flexradio worked them - - - ONCE? Only once? And you publicly brag about it???

Kenwood -9      Flexradio - 1

http://www.nh8s.org/pages/log.html

Go ahead and plug K9IUQ into the log. Then plug your call into the log.

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ

No magic or mystery about it, and DXers have been doing this for fifty years before Flex came on the scene.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:24:05 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

Uh well that was the ONLY time I tried to work him.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 10:26:38 AM »

Are you saying you could only do that with a Flex radio?  

You can add Panadaptors to many radios today.  Heck, I even have one on my little KX3 and can do dual Recieve in the same band.  A $40 Softrock can do Panadaptor 101.

They are all just radios to me, I don't get brand loyalty, I really don't.  You give up money and someone gives you some sort of box in return with a limited warranty.  And if it breaks outside the warranty, then you pay.  That's why in my humble opinion brand loyalty is a one way notion in today's world.  It's a business after all, the purpose of which is to make money.

So bottom line seems to be it looks cool and that's ok for now if people want to plunk money down on that.  Just keep in mind that the new software might take a while to steady out and develop.

When someone comes up with how these new radios will help me over what I have now, let me know.  I am interested in how people will make use of them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:46:44 AM by NI0Z » Logged

AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

On 9/14 I worked NH8S via CW on 17M at 00:37 when the propagation was poor from my QTH near Detroit. Was using my 5000a at 80 watts

Without the panadapter I would have been operating blind and no amount of knobs on a regular rig would have been able to help me.

Uh excuse me but I have worked NH8S NINE times. On Different bands and different modes. Did you get that? NINE TIMES. I did it without any panadapter or second receiver. I was operating blind  Cheesy with a Kenwood TS-590s and only used TFset control to help  me find the right freq. It was easy. NH8S is certainly not DX I would brag about as it is one of the easiest recent Dxexpeditions to work.

However you brought it up. So what does this mean? I worked NH8S NINE TIMES and you with a Flexradio worked them - - - ONCE? Only once? And you publicly brag about it???

Kenwood -9      Flexradio - 1

http://www.nh8s.org/pages/log.html

Go ahead and plug K9IUQ into the log. Then plug your call into the log.

LMAO
Stan K9IUQ

No magic or mystery about it, and DXers have been doing this for fifty years before Flex came on the scene.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Ooooh Stan,
You are such a virile man! So strong, so capable....
You are my hero!!!!
Bruce
AB1KC
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: