Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islands Under Threat of Being Submerged  (Read 5077 times)
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »

Don't think he say it was so .... it appears by stating "probably", he stating an opinion. And everyone has one of those. They're FREE.

Thank You, Landon.  It is obviously an opinion as I was not in college 50 years ago.  I do follow the news closely and I have family in academia.  I've been reading more and more stories about high schools where teachers hand out the answers to tests because they know most of their students are too dumb to pass a test.  This was unheard of when I was in school but not so unheard of today. Many of those HS students are admitted to colleges where they do not belong.

They just had a scandal in Atlanta, where they were caught giving the test answers to the students prior to the tests, and their rationale was the kids are so stupid they had no other choice. They did have another choice.  They could have let 90% of the students fail but the jobs of the administrators might have been in jeopardy. We recently had a local cheating scandal in the city of Springfield so these are not rare events.

I have a close relative who is an attorney and has taught criminal justice and a few other classes part time at local colleges.  My relative graduated summa cum laude from a prestigious Boston college and his opinion is many of the students in his classes should not have graduated from high school, let alone be in college. He gives them the grades they deserve because he enjoys teaching and his part-time teaching is not responsible for his whole salary like a full-time teacher.

Doesn't it stand to reason that if our high school school administrators are passing students who should've failed that some/many will be admitted to college and they must be passing students along just like the high schools?  Maybe not the elite schools like Harvard or MIT but community colleges and colleges with low or average rankings?

Chris/NU1O

This I can agree with. It was simply the breadth of your initial statement that caught my eye.

As you say, the problem is not with all colleges or college graduates, but rather the BS BS degrees in BS subjects granted by third-rate institutions to third-rate individuals.

BTW, I see that US News has put my alma mater at #6, behind a bunch of liberal arts colleges.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »

They said the SF Bay has risen 8 inches in the last century. They also say they have no idea how much and how fast the bay could rise, so we shall see.

It's too bad SF wasn't sinking. That's one city we could do without!   Grin

Chris/NU1O

Com'on Chris. Be fair, have you ever been to SF? A bit crowded like all big cities but still all in all a nice place to visit. I surely would not want to live there mainly due to it over-zealous liberal nature but I guess we have to take the bad with good. Hopefully in a few months we can replace the 'bad' with the GOOD Smiley

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »

This I can agree with. It was simply the breadth of your initial statement that caught my eye.

As you say, the problem is not with all colleges or college graduates, but rather the BS BS degrees in BS subjects granted by third-rate institutions to third-rate individuals.

BTW, I see that US News has put my alma mater at #6, behind a bunch of liberal arts colleges.

My fault.  I should've explained what I meant with more detail right from the start.

Chris/NU1O
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »

What was the topic here?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: