Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS 520  (Read 3264 times)
IRVIN

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »

:(My TS 520  worked great when I put it away some time back but now it receives great , both CW&SSB filters and more  .What would cause the  no drive? Tubes are  great  .Irv  If I sell it how much would I hope to get for it  Comeswith original manual and new paint.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

It could be sooooooooooooo many different things.  Since it worked when you put it up, I would look at the simple and obvious first.

Is the heater switch on?
Is the SG switch on the rear in the right position?
Are you turning up the drive high enough when you try to tune?
Are all front panel switches in the right positions when you try to tune?

If all that checks out you may solve the problem by spraying all switches and pots with some good contact cleaner and then exercising them.

If none of that helps, you probably need to get some help.

Dick  AD4U

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »

hi John,

can you tell us what the high voltage reading is
on the meter when you are in transmit?

I'm betting on the screen grid switch is OFF.

Great group for ts 5xx and 8xx hybrid fans

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-520_820_530_830/

73 james
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »

:(My TS 520  worked great when I put it away some time back...

Sitting dormant often causes problems when switch and control contacts become dry, corroded and no longer make proper connections. 

Switches and Controls that are in use get "excercised" -- which can keep the bad stuff from happening by the mechanical wiping action -- but sitting without that excercise can often stop all sorts of functions from working right. 

So the very first thing to do with any piece that you wish to bring back to operational life is simple enough:  Use a good Cleaner/Lube spray such as DEOXIT on every switch and control, taking the time to turn each one full travel lightly while the spray is still wetting the contacts in order to get some mechanical wiping action, which cleans the contacts. 

If the rig has an AC power switch, do not spray into that one, because the lubricant can cause more problems there, causing problems to the contacts due to AC sparks when the switch is thrown.  But all other controls are good candidates and should be cleaned and lubed like that. 

This should be done before any other attempts at troubleshooting or decisions about component replacement or the dreaded Golden Screwdriver re-calibration. 

Quite often is the case that cleaning controls is all the "repair" that is really needed in these cases.

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:05 PM »

"Scratchy" controls are a well known problem to antique transistor radio enthusiasts. They take some fiddling to connect. It happens with age. The only real solution is to replace the control. I had an inherited GE World Monitor that had that problem, it had sat for 20 years and the volume control was intermittent. Even my Tivoli Model One is getting some play in the volume after sitting for a decade.
K3CFC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »

A drop or two of wd-40 will fix all of the controls. i have used this for years and never had a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: