Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another HQ-160 question  (Read 3592 times)
K7WXK

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

Can anyone tell me what the inductance is in L-2 (bifilar coil part no. 42032-1)?  It also has a center tap, so if you know at what inductance it is tapped that would be great.

Thanks,
Marc
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:33:34 AM »

Marc -

No L-C meter or GDO ?

Better to ask at Antique Radios, with a larger number of Hammerlund owners.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90749

dlab500 You Tube videos on the HQ-160 very good.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqDNAA2DBzs#/user/dlab500
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:37:55 AM by W9GB » Logged
K7WXK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:00:14 AM »

No, I don't have the appropriate test equipment for LC or capacitance checking.  I was able to repair the choke, but it took unwinding it until I found the broken lead.  So, the question is moot for now.

Thanks,
Marc
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:11:43 AM »

Quote from: K7WXK
I was able to repair the choke, but it took unwinding it until I found the broken lead.
Great.  This HQ-160 has definitely been an educational boatanchor repair for you.

I pulled up the Hammerlund HQ-160 manual, schematic, and parts list.
http://www.hammarlund.org/files/HQ_160_ISSUE_3_SCHEMATIC.pdf

I see the L2 is between the T2 and T3 IF transformers (which you previously worked on),
and the HQ-160 parts list only states that L2 is a Bifilar Coil (with tap).
Failure of L2 explains why your T2 repair did not solve the problem.

Your solution is the tried and true approach, when the manuals do not state value,
 you don't have electronics bench equipment OR you are a financially challenged (poor) college student.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 07:36:39 AM by W9GB » Logged
K7WXK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »

Yeh, I fixed the choke, but the original problem with the radio still exists.  The choke is nothing more than two wires connected at one end of the ferrite core and wound around it and one of the wires used as a center tap and the other connected to the other end of the core.  Seems that during the repair of the T-3 I must have somehow detached one of the leads from the core.  I had checked it earlier in the troubleshooting process and everything checked out.  Stuff happens!

I am doing a lot studying and research and re-tracing the chain of events that lead to the failure of the radio rather than shotgun replacing of parts, etc.  However, I have found several out of tolerance resistors and poor solder joints during this process.  Unfortunately, none of the fixes has worked.  With everyone's help I will lick this "peckerwood", but with my lack of technical knowledge it will take some time.
K7WXK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »

Finally fixed it.  It was T-2, even though signals were passing through to the Converter.  That's what made it so tough to figure out.  I plan to remove all the IF transformers and re-cap them, but for now the receiver is working great. 

Thanks for all the tips and assistance.  This forum is great!

Marc

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:50:23 PM by K7WXK » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: