Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD and Satellites  (Read 2218 times)
AE5QB

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »

I don't hear much about Ham Radio Deluxe and Satellite work.  NOVA and PCSat seem to be the most commonly used programs.  I currently use NOVA and have no real complaints with it.  It has a few quirks that makes it less than intuitive but it works OK and drives the G5500 just fine. It does seem to flip the antenna a great deal, but maybe that is normal. 

I like HRD as an overall package but have never tried the SAT portion to drive my antenna system.  I do intend to give HRD a try as I really like the HRD display and the prediction graphs.  Does anyone have experience with doing this and what are your conclusions?  Less than, greater than, or no difference from NOVA and PCSat?  Any problems getting it set up properly that I might need to look out for?  I am driving a Yaesu G5500 through a LVB Tracker interface.

Tom/AE5QB

KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

It's been reported numerous times on the AMSAT-BB that the satellite portion of HRD is "broken".

Since I've never used it, I can't comment on whether it does or doesn't work properly for satellite use.

The reason SatPC32 is so popular is because it tunes the radio as well as controls the rotors, and 100% of the purchase price goes to AMSAT as the author donated the program to them.

The author also improves it from time to time, and is available for help if you hit a really stubborn problem.

I've used NOVA in the past, but since it doesn't control the radio without an additional program (Insta-Tune works), I stopped using it.

Yes, it's "pretty", but I'll take functionality over lipstick 99.9% of the time!

73, Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: