Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a New dual band HT w/ features  (Read 2631 times)
W7FJ

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »

Hi, I am in the market for a new dual band HT. I'm looking for one with D-Star, Echolink, APRS and with a built-in GPS (No external type GPSs). The new Icom ID-51A looks like it'll be a nice radio, but would prefer an alpha keypad for messaging. Does any HT exist currently w/ all these features?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:38:01 AM by KC7KYR » Logged
2E0JTP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:47:44 AM »

The Icom IC-E92D does all of the above with the GPS fist mic, but the APRS part is done through the D-Star digital network rather than via the analogue APRS network, so it only works if you can access a D-Star repeater (or possibly a simplex node?) that actually allows you to pass along GPS data. Some repeater keepers don't like APRS beaconing as it effectively blips the repeater without any audio passing through.

If you want analogue APRS, you need something like one of the new Yaesu or Kenwood hand helds, but then they don't have D-Star. If you want D-Star, then you don't get the analogue APRS functionality....   Roll Eyes

I'd go for something with APRS, at least it has some use.
W7FJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »

Thanks for your response. I didn’t realize the APRS was done through the D-Star network. I don’t have a D-Star repeater in my area here, but I travel to places that do and wanted to use it there. I already have a VX-8 hand held and works pretty well for APRS and general use, but just thought I’d get one that had D-Star and a built-in GPS that wasn’t on the Mic. I guess maybe I’ll just wait then because it doesn’t sound like D-Star is really worth the investment since APRS would be useless without a D-Star repeater close by. Maybe one day they will separate the 2, so the APRS is not dependent on the D-Star link. I think that was a dumb idea =) Thanks again...
2E0JTP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:16:53 AM »

Every time a D-Star GPS device sends APRS data through the network (via a local D-Star repeater) it blips the repeater and potentially interferes with whatever traffic is currently taking place through the repeater, hence the reason the repeater keepers don't like you to set your D-Star APRS settings to automatic timed beaconing. Which of course is a reasonable request.

I ran a D-Star mobile (the Icom D-Star IC-E2820) for a while and the APRS position reporting feature could only be used whilst I spoke via a D-Star repeater.

This meant that my position reports were only made while I was chatting, so regular timed interval position reports were impossible.

It's a shame but D-Star is totally useless for APRS position reporting.

You are probably better off with a dedicated APRS unit anyway.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

Huh, I thought Dstar repeaters supported multiple QSOs at the same time, or at least that was an available feature.

Other than "digital quality" voice is there any redeeming feature of Dstar?

I'm not trying to start anything, I just want to know why I should be considering buying into the mode?
2E0JTP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:28 AM »

I thought Dstar repeaters supported multiple QSOs at the same time, or at least that was an available feature.

Nope. Quite a few people initially thought that D-Star offered mobile phone like, multiple-simultaneous connections, but no.

Function wise, it doesn't really offer much more than you can already get with existing analogue radios and existing Echolink infrastructure.

The thing I found funny was that people who didn't use Echolink used to rave about the capabilities of D-Star!

It's a funny old world. Cheesy
KD0BKH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »

Not sure how APRS has been implemented in England, but D-star has nothing to do with the way it works here in the United States.  Bob Bruninga started it in 1992, well before the first D-star radios even existed.  Full details are at www.aprs.org  Any radio capable of operating on 144.390 FM simplex will work fine, including the Icom handhelds that are set up for D-star.  One caveat - you will need a TNC to operate APRS (or run a computer soundcard interface and a TNC emulator like AGWPE).  In any case, APRS and D-star are not inextricably linked to each other.  There's a bunch of HTs around these days that have both GPS and a TNC built in, and I suppose it comes down to your choice of which one would best meet your needs - but don't think that it has to be D-star compatible.  APRS operates on simplex, and the only repeating that occurs is done by analog digipeaters, not conventional (or D-star) repeaters.  I know that this isn't responsive to your original "what should I buy" question, but hope that it will at least help you to define what features you do need....

Ed - KD0BKH
2E0JTP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

APRS works the same way in the US as it does in the UK.  Wink

The APRS functionality of D-Star is done through the local D-Star repeater and then on into the internet.

As I mentioned previously, it's a bodge job and doesn't work well at all. Sure, you can just switch the D-Star radio into FM mode and then attach a TNC and GPS puck, but then why spend 3X the usual cost of a traditional analogue transceiver on a D-Star radio if you are going to operate it like that.  Huh

If you want to buy a hand held with APRS all built in, you go for a Kenwood or a Yaesu, if you want D-Star, you buy Icom. You can't have both (at least not with it all built in).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: