Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To SDR or not! That is the question!  (Read 21629 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »

Are any of the computers where you are having image rejection problems laptops?  What software are you using?

Hi Gene,
Thanks for the assistance!  Yes, the laptop is fine, no images unless I tweak the phasing setup...  I can make it bad, but I can make it good as well...  

On the desktop, with a pci based soundblaster card, the phase controls seem to make no difference at all...  Maybe I am moving them too far, too fast, causing me to miss the change because of the latency, but for the life of me I swear I am moving them slow enough...  Using HDSDR.

I know the rig/cable are good else they would not work on the Laptop...  Oh well, this is what makes things fun!  Smiley

73's

The reason I asked whether it was a laptop is because many laptops only have mono line in for the sound card.    If you have verified that your hardware and the cabling is good from the ensemble and you are able to null out the image with HDSDR on your laptop, then it points to something screwy with the sound card you are using in the system where you cannot get good image rejection.   It has to be pretty bad, because the range of the phase and amplitude adjustments in HDSDR are more than enough for any reasonably working sound card.

Gene
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »

The reason I asked whether it was a laptop is because many laptops only have mono line in for the sound card.    If you have verified that your hardware and the cabling is good from the ensemble and you are able to null out the image with HDSDR on your laptop, then it points to something screwy with the sound card you are using in the system where you cannot get good image rejection.   It has to be pretty bad, because the range of the phase and amplitude adjustments in HDSDR are more than enough for any reasonably working sound card.

Gene

I suspected you would say that...  Oh well, the worst that it can be is a new Sound Card, and they are not that expensive...  I may not worry too much about that anyway, I will be using the laptop 99% of the time with the receiver...  I will probably find out what is causing the issue on the desktop as an exercise to gain familiarization with SDR.  Thank for the help!

Now off to find out why the image forms as it does...

73's

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

Any rigs to stay away from? 

A easy question that has been answered with the reasons, thousands of times here. The answer you surely know if you have done any reading here whatsoever.  F L E X R A D I O

Now you will see interaction..  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

I honestly do not understand why people have problems with the Flex units. I use a Flex 1500 along with a homebrew 100w amp here and it was very easy to set up under Win XP Pro on a Dell GX520. And I come from an era when the Collins KWM-2 was top dog and the Heath HW-101 was for everyone else.

I also have non-SDR radios and they work great too. But the Flex blows them away in terms of RX versatility and performance. As has been pointed out many times, the interactive panadapter alone makes these rigs miles ahead of most because you can not only see the signals but you can tailor the filtering in real time and see the changes so you can quickly adjust for optimum reception of a given signal. I know of no other radio currently available which does this as easy as the Flex radios. And the interactive notch filters are simply incredible.

This is also the only radio I've seen so far which has so many transmit audio adjustments. With it, I can make my little Yaesu MH-31 hand mic sound just like the big boys of ESSB. And I have had a couple of high-quality ESSB systems before when it was popular.

After reading about many different experiences with the Flex units, some good and some bad, I'm thinking that Flex Radio isn't the problem. The real problem I think is that there is such a plethora of computer hardware and operating systems and technical savvy levels that almost every situation will be different so some will work as well as mine while others won't. But that certainly does not mean to avoid FlexRadio.

- Darrell/K7LZR

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »

I tried sdr and at first loved it. But, the novelty wore off and I found myself not listening and actually missing weak signals.

Back to the old fashioned way and pulling in the weak dx or any other signal that would barely show up in the panadapter is a pleasure.

Use your ears, not you eyes. Sdr is more eye candy and moderately useful, but can become a crutch, which is not a good thing.

Get a K3-an sdr with knobs.

Don KF7DS
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »

A easy question that has been answered with the reasons, thousands of times here. The answer you surely know if you have done any reading here whatsoever.  F L E X R A D I O

Now you will see interaction..  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

I honestly do not understand why people have problems with the Flex units. I use a Flex 1500 along with a homebrew 100w amp here and it was very easy to set up under Win XP Pro on a Dell GX520. And I come from an era when the Collins KWM-2 was top dog and the Heath HW-101 was for everyone else.

I also have non-SDR radios and they work great too. But the Flex blows them away in terms of RX versatility and performance. As has been pointed out many times, the interactive panadapter alone makes these rigs miles ahead of most because you can not only see the signals but you can tailor the filtering in real time and see the changes so you can quickly adjust for optimum reception of a given signal. I know of no other radio currently available which does this as easy as the Flex radios. And the interactive notch filters are simply incredible.

This is also the only radio I've seen so far which has so many transmit audio adjustments. With it, I can make my little Yaesu MH-31 hand mic sound just like the big boys of ESSB. And I have had a couple of high-quality ESSB systems before when it was popular.

After reading about many different experiences with the Flex units, some good and some bad, I'm thinking that Flex Radio isn't the problem. The real problem I think is that there is such a plethora of computer hardware and operating systems and technical savvy levels that almost every situation will be different so some will work as well as mine while others won't. But that certainly does not mean to avoid FlexRadio.

- Darrell/K7LZR

Most people have no problem with Flex.  It's just that here you have a few malcontents that have chosen this forum as their bully pulpit to spew their discontent and then shout down anyone who dares to disagree with them. Watch and see what happens after this post. Your best bet is to put these folks on ignore if you want to have peace and talk about Flex or any other kind of SDR in a civil environment.
Michael, W4HIJ
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

I would have to agree... Luckily one of them vanished at the end of November...hopefully never to return but we probably won't be tha lucky.  I won say his name or call because I am a bit superstitious.

Doc
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 05:26:44 PM »

Most people have no problem with Flex.  It's just that here you have a few malcontents that have chosen this forum as their bully pulpit to spew their discontent and then shout down anyone who dares to disagree with them. Watch and see what happens after this post.

Most of these so-called "malcontents" (including me) lived with Flex rigs for years and experienced first hand the various issues, missing features, and broken promises and have chosen to inform others in one of the few uncensored forums available, since you won't read about them on the Flex reflectors or anywhere else. I suppose you'd probably brand Ralph Nader a malcontent as well for daring to expose the flaws in the Chevy Corvair.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »

A easy question that has been answered with the reasons, thousands of times here. The answer you surely know if you have done any reading here whatsoever.  F L E X R A D I O

Now you will see interaction..  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

- Darrell/K7LZR

Most people have no problem with Flex.  It's just that here you have a few malcontents that have chosen this forum as their bully pulpit to spew their discontent and then shout down anyone who dares to disagree with them. Watch and see what happens after this post. Your best bet is to put these folks on ignore if you want to have peace and talk about Flex or any other kind of SDR in a civil environment.
Michael, W4HIJ

If you want to discuss Flex Radios without anyone disagreeing with you, then subscribe to the Flex mailing list.  They only allow threads that praise Flex Radio over there.    Most of the people who have a problem with a discussion of Flex's negatives, like you, only want to hear the positives and to squelch the naysayers.  Too bad for you that you can't get away with it on eHam.

Most of the guys who have a problem with negative discussions of Flex Radio are new to Flex Radio and SDRs and do not yet have the experience of dealing with Flex, its bugs, and its over-zealous supporters.  They have found a pretty new toy and do not want to hear anything  bad about it.  They do not want to hear facts, they do not want to argue with facts, and when confronted with the facts, they resort to name calling, whining, and grumbling about the naysayers.

Michael, W4HIJ, is a prime example of the above.

Gene
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:59:24 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 05:16:33 AM »

Luckily one of them vanished at the end of November..

Who vanished?Huh??  Shocked

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 05:19:10 AM »

I tried sdr and at first loved it. But, the novelty wore off and I found myself not listening and actually missing weak signals.

Me too. I equate my Flexradio experiences to my marriage to the first wife. At first it was great expecially the first months.  Grin
Then the honeymoon was over and reality set in...   Wink

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »

Most people have no problem with Flex. 

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh dear,still the SOS....

Stan K9IUQ
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 08:39:24 AM »

Indeed Stan! 

And I am amused by the reasoning demonstrated by a few recent posters to this forum.  For instance those who have had issues with Flex radios must be malcontents who don't know what they are doing.  But if the same posters can't get their Q1SR working, then those who are not having similar difficulties must be dishonest. 

And there are those who suggest we not pay attention to those "negative" hams who point out facts.  I enjoy this forum because I am challenged and learn a lot from those "negative" individuals.  I sincerely hope they are not deterred by the "don't confuse me with facts" crowd.  eHAM and this forum would be poorer if that were to occur.  I've seen that happen on the Amplifiers forum.  A very knowledgable ham rarely posts anymore, which is a loss.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

Indeed Stan! 

And I am amused by the reasoning demonstrated by a few recent posters to this forum.  For instance those who have had issues with Flex radios must be malcontents who don't know what they are doing.  But if the same posters can't get their Q1SR working, then those who are not having similar difficulties must be dishonest. 

And there are those who suggest we not pay attention to those "negative" hams who point out facts.  I enjoy this forum because I am challenged and learn a lot from those "negative" individuals.  I sincerely hope they are not deterred by the "don't confuse me with facts" crowd.  eHAM and this forum would be poorer if that were to occur.  I've seen that happen on the Amplifiers forum.  A very knowledgable ham rarely posts anymore, which is a loss.

This is a prime example of people only hearing what they want to hear (or in this case reading what they want to read).  The poster you are referring to does not have a problem getting his qs1r working.  As a matter of fact, he says he loves it.  What he was having trouble with is following directions that were posted as to how to get it to do what he wants it to do.  You have just TWISTED it around to argue your point by saying otherwise.  You are not stating the 'facts', you are only spreading disinformation.

Gene
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 10:49:55 AM »

Thanks Gene.... yes, I don't want anyone to construe me as saying the QS1R is anything but a stellar piece of SDR hardware.  The problem is fundamentally I am trying to do more with it than was initially intended.  It is capable of multi-rx and I have no problem doing that with skimmer server, CWSL, and via a hacked together selector using skimmer server FPGA code and HPSDR.   Non of those options are tunable... they allow for a fixed frequency reception of a fixed bandwidth.  There is supposed to be something better but cant seem to find any info on it.  Have contacted Phil directly in the past as well as Studio one manufacturer to no avail.

I say all this because the 6700 will be able to do this without a problem although the QS1R JASMOP to get it done.

(just a small matter of programming)

Doc
KX0O
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:54:33 AM by KX0O » Logged
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »

Indeed Stan! 

I could care less who pays attention to who, no matter what their opinion is. I just object to being shouted down and insulted because I have the nerve to state the true fact that I personally have not experienced any problems with either of  my Flex radios and have enjoyed each of them. I guess I'm just lucky.  There are a couple of posters here who I have on ignore and now  see their calls in this thread who cannot stand for anyone to relate a positive experience. I don't doubt their experience was bad, we've heard about it over and over from them but to this day I can't understand why it infuriates them and others like them for me to say I enjoy my radio. Makes no sense.
Michael, W4HIJ
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: