Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre order 6700? Getting cold feet?  (Read 7270 times)
WJ0G

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »

All:

New to this forum (only second post)...

I see there are quite a few people that has a 'dislike' for Flex Radio that are on this list.

So......I thought I would ask to see if anybody that has pre-ordered a Flex 6700(only) and put a deposit down..and wants to jump out..please contact me.

I might be interested to paying you the deposit back, and I get in line...if Flex allows this.

To avoid the craziness here--please PM me directly--as I have a good idea how this thread is going to go..

Smiley  Grin

Tim
WJ0G
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:52:39 AM »

What's the purpose of these deposits anyway? Is Flex using the money to fund development?
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:10:56 AM »

You can't have my deposit!
I can't wait.......
Bruce
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

What's the purpose of these deposits anyway? Is Flex using the money to fund development?

Hey, they have to buy parts  Grin
WJ0G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »

Bruce;

Guess I'm suffering from 'pre-order envy'..

Embarrassed

Well, guess I need to suck it up and get in line for Q1, 2013...

Surprised the FBs (Flex Bashers) aren't here yet..

Who else is pumped about this?

Tim

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »

Fool you once, shame on Flex. Fool you twice, you are an idiot!  Lol.

Gene
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »

I see there are quite a few people that has a 'dislike' for Flex Radio that are on this list.

Could it be because many of us have first hand experience of Flexradios and their company "policies"?

I have a personal rule to only get screwed once by any company.

Stan K9IUQ
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »

Could it be because many of us have first hand experience of Flexradios and their company "policies"?

I have a personal rule to only get screwed once by any company.

Stan K9IUQ
Yeah, but you love to re-live the experience over, and over......
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

Yeah, but you love to re-live the experience over, and over......

I like to get my moneys worth....

Stan K9IUQ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »

Perhaps, but remember the deposits are refundable AND the unit is a evolution of hardware they have had for other markets for several years.

More importantly deposits allowed Flex to gauge the number of "paying & interested hams" rather than need to convert the interested prospect into a buying customer sometime later.

The pre-order builds were fully subscribed, which means there will be a significant community of Flex-6000 series owners all getting their new radios at the same time. 

There will likely be a few limited edition pre-orders that become available on a secondary basis - for reasons ranging from health (or worse), circumstances or other reasons.

How those issues will be handled is something you can ask the Flex team.  Anything else is speculation.

Steve
K9ZW

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 02:58:17 AM »

Perhaps, but remember the deposits are refundable AND the unit is a evolution of hardware they have had for other markets for several years.

What specific "hardware for other markets" is that?  If Flex had a direct sampling system already developed for "other markets" they would have had working hardware to demonstrate at this point.  As of now, Flex has not demonstrated a working Flex-6000 unit.

Gene
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

I don't have any model Flex, but do find their demo's at Dayton to be quite interesting.  However, I found long ago never to buy version 1.0 of any software, to wait one year when a car is completely redesigned, and to wait at least six months before buying any ham hardware.  No matter how good the engineering, there are always a few bugs and possible improvements.  Following that logic (and experience), it doesn't make sense to me to give a deposit on what might easily be a "beta" radio.   John.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »

I don't have any model Flex, but do find their demo's at Dayton to be quite interesting.  However, I found long ago never to buy version 1.0 of any software, to wait one year when a car is completely redesigned, and to wait at least six months before buying any ham hardware.  No matter how good the engineering, there are always a few bugs and possible improvements.  Following that logic (and experience), it doesn't make sense to me to give a deposit on what might easily be a "beta" radio.   John.

The early adopters are going to be in for quite a roller coaster ride of pain for the first year or so, and perhaps longer. And to think they're paying in advance for this misery... They all must have a masochistic streak.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 03:02:10 AM »

The early adopters are going to be in for quite a roller coaster ride of pain for the first year or so, and perhaps longer. And to think they're paying in advance for this misery... They all must have a masochistic streak.

I cannot see why people want to rush out and plop money down on something that has not even been developed to a point where it can be demonstrated.  It is much more prudent to let the early adopters go through the pain and wait until late next year when some of the initial bugs have been worked out.  At that point you will also be able to see how much of Flex's initial promise of a 'game changer' has been fulfilled.  Flex's history is full of promises and hyperbole with poor delivery on those promises.

Gene
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »

You can always tell that a product has been  rushed onto the market  and will have short lifespan when its a super expensive transceiver and it has a lousy 12 volt 100 watt  CB design PA in it!
If I wanted to call my product state of the art and the greatest thing since sliced bread, I would have at least put in a 200 watt modern FET PA into the  like most of the current super expensive radios like the IC7800.

Feature like external GPS reference lock would also not be a option.  This simple bit of electronics a school kid could design why is it even a option? Things like adapter feed forward PA and  direction finding could be a option,
but not frequency reference locking.

All I can say is, all that MIPS and they cant do adaptive pre-distortion  with a decent PA?

The whole Flex concept has been  rushed concept that has many holes in it that does not  hold water for a supposedly ground breaking product. Even on paper the ADAT transceiver has
more credibility since they have delivered on every design feature and stated objective.

Thinks like beam steering and  direction finding wont see the light of day because its all hyperbola concepts. Whoever makes the promises wont have the skills to deliver this technology and make it really work.
The Flexradio 6700 just looks like a brain storming session product that probably has not been though out well enough. When you examine SDR product like those delivered for professional markets and for things
like beam steering and HFDF, you soon see that all of Flex Radios hyperbola lacks substance.

http://www.roke.co.uk/locate/

Look carefully through the specifications  and performance requirements of these professional receivers and you will soon understand  the hyperbola.

I cannot see why people want to rush out and plop money down on something that has not even been developed to a point where it can be demonstrated.  It is much more prudent to let the early adopters go through the pain and wait until late next year when some of the initial bugs have been worked out.  At that point you will also be able to see how much of Flex's initial promise of a 'game changer' has been fulfilled.  Flex's history is full of promises and hyperbole with poor delivery on those promises.

Gene

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: