Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Semi-rare one coming up in 2013  (Read 5591 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »

It's T33A and there is no copyright:

http://dx-world.net/2012/t33a-banaba/

Col, that link was not up when I posted my flash last night. The only mention I'd seen anywhere, including an exhaustive Google search, was from The Daily DX--which is copyrighted. No, I'm not worried about being sued, I just respect Bernie's wishes in the matter. Obviously when he breaks a story it will break everywhere in a few hours (as T33A did). I just wanted to give everybody here a nice heads up that something pretty fun was about to be announced.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »

I still wonder why Clipperton was chosen....  Has not been very long since a BIG group worked that one with a lot of QSOs. Sure could have been some better choices. Looks like the top 10 are going to remain just that, with no activations coming Angry.   Oh well, take what you can get and make those bandfills, huh?? 73, Gene AF3Y

I'm with you there. TX5C was up in March 2008 as a huge multi-national operation. Their Website is long gone and their log doesn't appear to be on Clublog (or if it is, I can't find it), but I'm pretty sure they netted well over 100k QSOs. as such I'm guessing demand will be fairly low from NA and JA. If I'm not mistaken, though, I think this is a good part of the team that's headed to Heard in 2014 and that they were using Clipperton as a dress rehearsal. No matter, I still need FO/c on 10m for my 9th band.

As to Banaba, T33C was full of promise when it was announced way back when, but it just never lived up to anybody's expectations. 3B9C and XF4IH used up all the propagation in the weeks before, and T33C was very difficult to work as a result. Grin

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »

I still wonder why Clipperton was chosen....  Has not been very long since a BIG group worked that one with a lot of QSOs. Sure could have been some better choices. Looks like the top 10 are going to remain just that, with no activations coming Angry.   Oh well, take what you can get and make those bandfills, huh?? 73, Gene AF3Y

I'm OK with Clipperton. Even though it's not a ATNO, my last contact with that entity was with FO0XX a zillion years ago and only on one band/mode. So I wouldn' t mind at all working them on some new bands. Besides Gene, not every activation is only. going to be for something you need exclusively. That is unless you fund them out of your own pocket Smiley

John K7KB
MM0NDX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »

Hi,

The T33A info is written in a way which suggests the team wanted this news to be public. There should have been no need to copyright it, particularly if the team seek more ops - I hope I've done my bit to give them more exposure Smiley

Col, MM0NDX
http://dx-world.net

It's T33A and there is no copyright:

http://dx-world.net/2012/t33a-banaba/

Col, that link was not up when I posted my flash last night. The only mention I'd seen anywhere, including an exhaustive Google search, was from The Daily DX--which is copyrighted. No, I'm not worried about being sued, I just respect Bernie's wishes in the matter. Obviously when he breaks a story it will break everywhere in a few hours (as T33A did). I just wanted to give everybody here a nice heads up that something pretty fun was about to be announced.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »

Guys a lot of these might not be new for you, but there are 1000's of us who are new and glad that these seemly common entities are being activated.

I only started DX'ing proper in 2009 so allmost ever expedition is a new one for me.

any top 100 entity will attract lots of interest as people just want to work DX, no matter if the have 23 slots from the previous operation a few weeks before hand.

I personally would not chase the same entity in the same year but that seems to be a rare attitude these days.

Trevor
EI2GLB

@286 and wondering will 300 ever come

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »

The T33A info is written in a way which suggests the team wanted this news to be public. There should have been no need to copyright it, particularly if the team seek more ops - I hope I've done my bit to give them more exposure Smiley

Oh, I don't disagree in the slightest and I'm boosting the bandwidth on my own. I just am one to respect copyright, which Bernie's bulletins are. Had I been able to find the same info posted elsewhere at the time I was ready to post that. In any event, I'm glad the word is getting out; this is one operation I'm looking forward to cleaning up from 10-160 if the propagation ghods are favourable.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:45:12 AM »

I need both Clipperton and Banaba for ATNOs.  Looking forward the spring 2013 as long as my antennas survive the windy season here  Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »

I just am one to respect copyright, which Bernie's bulletins are.

Copyright only means you can't extract an EXACT copy of the information and relay it. Copyrights are for details, not ideas.

So he might say in very specific words over 20 sentences the details of something. You can read that and relay the relevant details 'in your own words' without any notion of copyright infringement.

Copyright doesn't mean 'I can't repeat it'. It means 'I can't repeat it word for word'.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »

I'm OK with Clipperton. Even though it's not a ATNO, my last contact with that entity was with FO0XX a zillion years ago and only on one band/mode. So I wouldn' t mind at all working them on some new bands. Besides Gene, not every activation is only. going to be for something you need exclusively. That is unless you fund them out of your own pocket Smiley

John K7KB

Where were you when TX5C was QRV in 2008? Like most of us, you could have filled your log.

I realize every activation is not going to be an ATNO for me or anyone, HOWEVER, I would think the MAIN purpose of any DXpedition is to hand out as many QSOs as possible. Dont you believe a rarer entity woulde generate more attention and more activity? Four years is a pretty short time, especially with the huge amount of QSOs they handed out. I believe it was over 100K and I believe they shut down a couple days early at that. I think some of these entities are approaching 10 years(?) since they were last activated. I would like to see a listing of the top 20 most wanted and the dates of their last activity (of any size...)

Just sure would be nice to see a top 10 most needed entity or two activated, instead of a recent re-do.

73, Gene AF3Y
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »

Gene, you are seeing the Banabas, Conways and Clipperton's being activated because either it is too expensive to go to Bouvet, kerguelen or Crozet, or the Governments which control the Pratas, kingman, Baker, Wakes etc won't allow access.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »

Guys a lot of these might not be new for you, but there are 1000's of us who are new and glad that these seemly common entities are being activated.

Trevor
EI2GLB

@286 and wondering will 300 ever come

Your point is valid, Trevor. Many of the guys in this forum have been at this game for a decade or a lot longer.

The last time I worked Clipperton was FO0CI back in 1992.  Back then I never even bothered to work expeditions on multiple bands.  One band was all I cared about.  Since I got back on the air in 2010 I have tried to work all the entities on 10, 15, and 20 since I have a tribander.

I don't think I will ever try to work everything on 9 bands and 3 modes.  My yard is too small for a decent 160 meter antenna and a swimming pool takes up most of the backyard.  Laying ground radials for a decent ground mounted vertical is just about impossible.  

I still don't understand the fascination with RTTY.  It's all about hitting function keys as far as I can see.  I think I will just have to be content working 10 through 40, phone and CW, and that's fine with me.

BTW, you will get your 300. I was at about 270 in the fall of 2010 and I'm at 312 today.

73 and best of luck,

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »

Gene, you are seeing the Banabas, Conways and Clipperton's being activated because either it is too expensive to go to Bouvet, kerguelen or Crozet, or the Governments which control the Pratas, kingman, Baker, Wakes etc won't allow access.

Thanks Paul, I assumed that $$ was a major factor.
So, I guess we are not going to see a top 10 entity anytime soon, huh?  I know, I know, Yemen was a surprise for all of us. Sure would like another surprise. Grin.  73, Gene AF3Y
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

Where were you when TX5C was QRV in 2008? Like most of us, you could have filled your log.

You are right Gene. If I was active back in 2008 I probably would have worked them on all bands or as many as I could manage. Unfortunately I was inactive from the hobby from 1985 to October of 2010 so I missed out on a lot of DX'peditions during that time. Another Clipperton operation gives me a second chance Smiley

John K7KB
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:50:06 PM by K7KB » Logged
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

Beggars can't be choosers.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »

There are a few others that haven't been on for a while but would undoubtedly command a lot of attention. San Felix is at #19, JD/m and JD/o are always a challenge for NA, TI9 hasn't been on for a while (although that's one I don't need anywhere myself), VK9X rsees activity every year but rarely anything beyond a vacation-style operation. It's been a while since 9U and 5U have been on as well.

Would it be economically feasible to do a twofer in the southern Indian Ocean, maybe? Kill two rare birds with one stone...Amsterdam/St. Paul and Crozet, making efficient use of the Marion Dufrense or similar vessel shuttling between these locations?

What about the idea I brought up in the other thread, about putting together a group to concentrate in needed WAZ Zones? Many zones have numerous entities that are quite common, with few access restrictions...yet are rarely heard on the low bands and 10m on polar routes.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: