Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CX instead of CQDX  (Read 9562 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 05:31:13 AM »

People need to get over worrying about other people.

I call CQ DX any time when I am looking for foreign contacts. It is virtually always productive, and tells stateside people I am looking for quick longer distance contacts. The last thing I want to do in the common DX areas of any band is work across town when the band is open for 10,000 miles.

As a matter of fact, it is wasteful to work 1000 miles on prime frequencies that are populated and usable for much longer distances.

As for just waiting for DX, that depends on if the DX is transmitting and can be found. As a general rule the stronger station should initiate a random frequency random calling long distance QSO. It is different for skeds or planned operation, but for randomly initiated contacts it is far more effective for the higher ERP station to start the ball rolling.

In the 1960's, when power was limited on 160 meters and antennas and equipment were generally poor,  USA stations called CQ DX on the even first parts of 5 minute periods, and DX called on the start of odd 5 minute periods. That was standard operating. It was agreed to world wide by anyone wanting to work across the ocean to NA.

Somehow someone gave people authority to disparage and dictate what great Lids people are when they qualify where or who they really want to work, and somehow we gave authority to people to say operating habits that are actually pretty reasonable and effective are not good because someone finds they don't work for them, or they personally just don't like the method.

Many larger stations have been the first DX contact for 100's of smaller stations on 160 meters, and it is because of CQ's followed by careful listening for DX signals down in the noise. It is almost impossible to do it the other way, and find a noise floor signal that is calling CQ for their first ever DX contact.

I'm sure this applies for other bands, too.

73 Tom
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 06:45:55 AM »

>It is almost impossible to do it the other way, and find a noise floor signal that is calling CQ for their first ever DX contact.<

It was by no means my first 160m DX contact, but that was what the VK0 on Heard Island was doing when I worked him - and he was WEAK!

But it doesn't happen very often.......
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 08:43:12 AM »

I call CQ DX any time when I am looking for foreign contacts. It is virtually always productive

I'm making a wild guess that most U.S. stations calling CQ DX aren't using 200'-300'+ tall arrays and such.  From where I am, in the center of the country, calling CQ DX on a small  inverted L on 160 would be pure ego-trip and a waste of spectrum.  

http://www.w8ji.com/transmitting%20antennas.htm
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

To me, when I hear a station calling CQ DX I just assume he/she wants an "out of country" contact, not specified.
If they are after a specific continent, I hear them calling CQ EU or CQ NA or CQ VK or whatever else they want.

I am not against CQ DX being called since it flags that station does not want domestic QSO's at this time.
This avoids me wasting his time, and having an awkward QSO.

Personally I never call CQ DX, since I am happy to talk to anyone, anywhere, for as long as they like.
But that is not everyone's interest in ham radio, and I understand that.
For example, I dislike contests, and so on those weekends, I retreat to the WARC bands and leave them to their melee.
Like living in a big city of millions, there are lots of different activities available - we have the luxury of picking and choosing.

73 - Rob
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »

No

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »

When we all started on 160, the typical antenna and power was a dipole at 30 feet and 100 watts. No one knew much about anything, and LORAN limited power. The Brits were allowed 10 watts plate input power, like most European countries.

Timed CQ's were of great value, or very few QSO's would happen.

CQ's have equal or more value today, because in order to make a contact SOMEONE has to call to get things rolling. If no one calls, no one will answer. Not only that, there no longer is a small DX Window. A DX station can be almost anywhere within a wider range now.

I think the general guideline is when no contacts are being made, someone has to call. It doesn't do much good for 10 people to call CQ, but someone has to. It doesn't do any good if no one calls.

73 Tom
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »

<The Brits were allowed 10 watts plate input power, like most European countries.>

Despite which, with a genuine ten watts, a couple of guys worked VK.

A bigger problem I've had is deliberate QRM from people who can't work DX and so want to stop others working it. It seems to be getting more of a problem, too. That didn't used to be the case.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: