Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft-101B elmer advice  (Read 1404 times)
KG6BRG

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »

I've got a old FT-101 B on my bench at the moment, I've got it to transmit with full power and seemingly a good receive.  Problem I haven't solved yet is the TX and RX are about 6 kHz apart.  I've tried to set the voltages at the clarifier to be equal as per the manual at "0" and "off", but when the clarifier is "off" I read no voltage at all, when set to "0" I see 2.26 volts. 
The regulator board voltage is set to 6 volts as per manual.  Any 101 gurus seen this before, I did pull the trimmer off the back of the clarifier pot and it checked good.  Thanks for reading and any help will be appreciated.  cheers.  Scott.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »

The guy you need to talk to is Harry Leeming G3LLL, he spent 25 years repairing Yaesu kit and he's an FT101 expert. I can't find his email address though.

Tanakasan
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »

I am not certain that the "B" has the same board and problem, but take a look at this thread and then check to see if your 101 has the same regulator board and problem and do what the thread says: 

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,73101.0.html

KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »

I am not certain that the "B" has the same board and problem, but take a look at this thread and then check to see if your 101 has the same regulator board and problem and do what the thread says: 

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,73101.0.html

Thanks, maybe I missed something, but I do have a solid 6 volts from the reg. board, measured at pin 13 as per the manual.  That solved the plate current issue, but I'm still having a problem with no voltage to the clarifier when set to "off"  and the 7 kHz separation of the TX and RX.  I think the two are related (just my speculation).
Thanks to those who took the time to respond and I'm still working on the problem and will post back any updates.  More suggestion are welcome.  cheers.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:35:54 AM »

It definately sounds like a clarifier circuit issue. The problem is witha  radio that age it could be almost anything.

I sold my FT101E years ago, and do not remeber uch about it except I also had clarifier issues with it.  I know it was an open carbon resistor on a board, but don't ask me which one.
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »

I had and sometimes still have this issue. I have a FT-101e.

There are 3 pots that control the voltage that runs the VCO. Two are for receieve, one with the clarifier and one with it off. The third is just for transmit. I ended up replacing them all as the originals I could not clean and could not keep from jumping all over the place.

I ordered from Mouser Electronics 10 turn mini pots and put them in and used the service manual (available on line) to complete the alignment. I won't go into all that here but with the 10 turn pots you have a lot more adjustment room verses the old open 270 degree pots.

The VR for transmit is on the PB1314 board (between the power transformer and the final tube area. I believe it is VR4 that is the one to repalce. One of the receive pots is on the clarifier pot and switch, cant remember where the last one is.

Also I replaced the whole 6 volt regualt circuit with a LM7806 regulator and new caps. I was having problems with it changing as it heated.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
KC9QQM
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »

Thanks for the responses so far, I've made fairly good progress today, I'm about 50-70 cycles off between TX and RX.  The rig was around heavy ciggy smoke and that is at the root of all the problems I've been having.  The two trimmers to set the clarifier, and the ZERO set all were gunked up.  The clarifier pot was a problem too, although the red LED came on and went off with the clarifier switch it was not making proper contact.  I had to remove it and then I was able to get some WD-40 in it followed by contact cleaner.  Seems the WD-40 softens up the residue  and the contact cleaner flushes it out.  I'm sure it will be an on going issue, but I do like the hy-brid rigs. 

What is realistic variation between RX and TX?  Should I try to get it closer.  It seems the trimmers are touchy, perhaps due to age and ciggy goo. 

Hope this thread helps someone else too,  cheers.  scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: