Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-290H confusion  (Read 2349 times)
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2012, 02:39:46 PM »

I purchase a used IC-290H which I am trying to learn to tune. Apparently the displayed frequency is offset from the actual frequency by about two megahertz. In addition the difference frequencies also vary depending on mode. Can someone explain this better that the manual which seems to have been translated from broken Japanese to broken English.

Thanks, Tim
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

If I recall correctly, the 290H is a 2m all mode rig.  In SSB/CW mode, make sure that the Receiver Incremental Tuning (RIT) control is turned "off", which should make the TX/RX frequencies the same.  In FM mode, the TX frequency will be either 600 KHz lower, 600 KHz higher, or the same as the receive frequency depending on if the Duplex switch is set to -, +, or 0.

Stephen
N5VTU
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:18:56 PM »

How exactly did you determine the 2MHz difference? Is this on receive, i.e. you see 145 MHz displayed but receive 147 MHz? Or did this only show on transmit?
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »

Tim,

Did you get your problem solved.  Don't leave us hanging.

Stephen
N5VTU
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »

May be he is more than 2MHz off now  Grin
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »

May be he is more than 2MHz off now  Grin

Heck, he may be totally out of band by now.
TTOMAS59

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »

Thanks for the responses. What it is which I couldn't tell from the manual is the radio defaults to 146Meg in FM mode and 144 in ssb cw.

Tim
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »

Hi Tim,

I have an old 290H and although it is well dated it is a swell little SSB/CW rig and the rcvr seems to hold it's own with my 275H, and that's saying something.

It sounds like you have gotten the 2 mHz thing under control so I thought I would throw a suggestion at you;

I like to switch off the main power supply when the radios are not in use and I quickly tired of re-setting the frequencies and the memorys every time so I dug up a little wall-wart in the 8 to 12 VDC range (after checking with a volt meter).

If you look at the plug on the rig, the center pin that appears unused was originally designed for Icom's battery memory back up.

Just jerry-rig the wall-wart into the plug using black ground and that center pin as + voltage from the 'wart.  It can stay on all the time regardless of the main PS and your settings are retained.

Oh yeah, should you want to drag it to the car, you could use a standard 9 volt battery for the same results.  Do note that the current demand of the volatile memory would do the 9 volt in in after maybe a day.

Hope you enjoy your 290H.

Bob  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:08:48 AM by K0CBA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: