Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boafeng 2M/400 HT  (Read 18588 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »

OK. My club just had our local hamfest. A couple vendors/tailgaters were selling these Boafeng radios. I think they were $60. I could not believe how many were flying off the shelves. I am seriously starting to thing that the vast majority of hams are really cheap. The biggest complaints I here about things are "cheap Chinese" quality, but they are the first ones in line to buy them. I am glad I got my FT-60 and don't mind paying the extra $100.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:58:22 PM by N4NYY » Logged
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »

I have a few of these radio and am quite happy with them.  They are what they are.  The little 2 watt ones fill the void that Alinco vacated dropping the half watt models.  I have two and they work fine If you know the limitations.  I just go a UV5R and so far is seems to be fine.  Seems easier to program then my Icom duel band HT and cost a lot less. 

The big 3 1/2 need to realize that hams are not made of money and that they come out with basic low dollar equipment with out the bells and whistles. 

Like it or not the Chinese radios are coming and the big 3 1/2 need to take note. 

BTW Hams are not cheap they are greedy, only a greedy person would try to sell a used smoke smelling radio for $10 less then a new one. 
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »

When the price of essentials like meat, gas, bread and heating fuel have doubled in just a few years it is expected that Hams will gravitate toward inexpensive radio equipment.  Just wait until the latest round of Quantitative Easing, otherwise know as irresponsible money printing, devalues our dollars even more.  Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood may become something only attainable by someone who lives the "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous". 

Frankly, Middle Class Hams have taken a huge hit financially and many find themselves in jobs making HALF of what they earned 5 years ago.   

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »

When the price of essentials like meat, gas, bread and heating fuel have doubled in just a few years it is expected that Hams will gravitate toward inexpensive radio equipment.  Just wait until the latest round of Quantitative Easing, otherwise know as irresponsible money printing, devalues our dollars even more.  Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood may become something only attainable by someone who lives the "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous". 

Frankly, Middle Class Hams have taken a huge hit financially and many find themselves in jobs making HALF of what they earned 5 years ago.   

Precisely. The Baofengs are really nice radios, from what I've heard. I plan to get one, and program it with a PC and third party software. If you're just looking for basic voice ops, like me, then Baofeng works great. By the way, if you want a REAL DEAL on the UV-5R, head to Ebay. Somebody is selling it for $34 now. The Big Three just got blown out of the water, like what happened to Sony when Tecsun and Degen aimed a Chinese economic cruise missile at them. As far as QE6,573 goes, it's the only way to pay the debt. Print money, pay debt in devalued dollars, then chuck the old money in favor of new. You've just ruined the country, but so what.

By the way, there's a site called preparedham.com that focuses on the survival aspect of hamming. It is in desperate need of some Elmers, so if that's you, get on over there and contribute.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:03:38 AM »

BTW Hams are not cheap they are greedy, only a greedy person would try to sell a used smoke smelling radio for $10 less then a new one. 

Very good point. You all make good points.
2E0JTP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »

I do know that the receiver on the UV-5R tends to suffer from overload from nearby strong signals, but for the price it's a small complaint considering I've seen the same problems on radios costing 5X the price.

You can pretty much buy it with the view to it being disposable. You're never going to worry too much about dropping it, or scratching the case, or rubbing the letters off.

Maybe a $34 radio will even find itself in your pocket more often?  Grin

KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »

One of my radio club members travels to Singapore and Hong Kong for business on a regular basis, and he recently brought back a satchel full of the UV-3R HT's.

He was selling them for his cost, something like $48, so I bought a cammo one to play with.

It actually "feels" better constructed than I thought it would. From inside the house I can't hit my favorite repeater, but step outside, and it works OK. Not bad for a little 2 Watt radio. Receive has plenty of volume, and sounds fine for a $50 radio.

My YF immediately fell in love with it, and gave me back the VX-6R I had bought for her when she passed her tech license!

An eBay search brought the programming cable and cigarette lighter adapter, and with a Larsen mag-mount, she now has a mobile rig, too.

Jim
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »

I have one of these on the way.  It is the latest "E" model.  I could not believe that you get an HT so cheap, untill I started researching the subject.  I was never much of a vhf guy but when I realized I could buy one at this price, what the heck.  How can I feel guilty when all of the "big name" equipment is also made in the Orient to.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »

The economy vs cost posts were fair points, which I did not consider in the first post. I have noticed how the big 3 have come out with mid range $3,000-4,000 rigs, which is out of most people's league.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »

I can't comment on the Baofeng's.. but I do have a Wouxon (which is basically the same thing).. and for a 'cheap Chinese' HT, it's been FABULOUS!  it struggles in HIGH RF enviroments (like when I'm standing in a transmitter room with a 5KW FM transmitter and a 25KW TV transmitter  Cheesy )  but i've never had intermod issues with it.  i've dropped it a couple times with no major issues.
there are certain 'limitations' that some may find a problem, but for the price  (I got my HT, a 2nd battery, and the programming cable for $130 shipped) i think the average ham would be crazy not to own one!!

side note: *BUY* the programming cable and software!! they are a **** to program w/o it!

This HT doesn't compare to my $400 Alinco DJ-G5E I bought years ago (That also exploded when it hit the ground) but for the price, i'm seriously considering the 2m/220 unit as well.
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 06:11:15 AM »

The handhelds seems to be quite cost-effective and actually do the job surprisingly well.

The mobile models coming do not have near the cost advantage over similar radios from YaeComWood.  In this instance for a few extra dollars I'll go with the name-brand.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:58:12 AM »

i agree.. after reading eds post, i'd rather have the brand name...
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 08:09:59 AM »

Now at amazon for $46.90 shipped hard to get past that price.

Enjoy.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=nosim/?ascsubtag=FWb6ah6n&tag=fatwalletcom&linkCode=as1

73 marc hs0zju
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »

Amazon also carries the accessories for the HT. Speaker mike, program cable and case.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 04:43:48 AM »

I have a few of these radio.....  They are what they are..... 

You get what you pay for.  And I agree that they are what they are.  Junk.

Those of you who are promoting purchasing them--just remember what you're promoting when you're being forced to learn the Chinese language and bow and scrape to your new masters in China.  If things keep happening the way that they are progressing, China won't have to conquer us, they'll OWN us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: