Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boafeng 2M/400 HT  (Read 20472 times)
YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »

Those of you who are promoting purchasing them--just remember what you're promoting when you're being forced to learn the Chinese language and bow and scrape to your new masters in China.  If things keep happening the way that they are progressing, China won't have to conquer us, they'll OWN us!

Yes, they are the planet's evil, they are bringing technology to market at a low price. They should start liberating oil-rich countries to become the good guys.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 06:38:11 AM »

Yes, they are the planet's evil, they are bringing technology to market at a low price. They should start liberating oil-rich countries to become the good guys.

Didn't say that.  To some, we in the US are the planet's evil for trying to force our own views and way of life on other nations.  We should have learned our lesson in Vietnam--we lost there, and that nation is doing just fine today.

What I did say is that if China comes into the US, they wouldn't hesitate to force their ways on us. 

Whatever happened to live and let live?
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »

Those of you who are promoting purchasing them--just remember what you're promoting when you're being forced to learn the Chinese language and bow and scrape to your new masters in China.  If things keep happening the way that they are progressing, China won't have to conquer us, they'll OWN us!

I remember the same thing said about Japan. Then we shifted electronics to digital devices networked together and they couldn't keep up.

Ultimately the Chinese will be taken down by the next information revolution, 3d printing and other robotic manufacturing. Why build something in China, ship it across the Pacific, store it somewhere and then overland to the consumer when you can get something made at a local shop (or your home)? Instead of shipping finished product, ship semi-processed materials that can be easily formed, colored, shaped, etc on site at the retail location. The retail model shifts to something like a restaurant model, where production, sales and delivery all happen almost at the same time.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 05:45:53 AM »

I remember the same thing said about Japan....

Yeah.  And look at where we are now, not only with Japan, but with other nations as well.  BTW, did you see where a Japanese bank has just purchased (yes, depending on approvals) a majority share of Sprint?  Just as has been said, they didn't win WWII--yet.   Roll Eyes

Putting that aside, there is one major difference between China and Japan.  China does not deny piracy and theft of other country's intellectual property and says openly that they don't care what other nations think about it.  Japan and our other trading partners do not do that--at least not to the extent China does. 
W9MT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »

I recently purchased a TYT TH-UVF9 (220/440), and shortly afterward a Baofeng UV-5R+ (2m/440).

Why?

Because I wanted to cover all 3 bands, plus I figured that 220/440 would be more efficient from a stock duckie standpoint. (I based this on prior experience with the stock duck on a Standard C-508 that I bought back in 1997 and still have and use a lot.)

I also wanted to try out both brands to see what all of the buzz was about. So far, it seems that with the stock antenna the TYT is not as efficient on 440 receive as it is on 220. (Not surprising.) I just got my Baofeng unit today and am just digging into it. It looks like a well constructed unit, and the audio sounded good when listening to it on the TYT and on my Radio Shack HTX-202/404 radios. (Which I'm never getting rid of. They're gold standards, as far as I am concerned.)

I'm having fun. The fun did not cost me much money...and this is really is a hobby, albeit one that can also have wonderful public service aspects to it. But since it's my money, and discretionary income in this economy is shrinking, I'm careful about how I "fund my fun".

With regard to the angst being expressed about "Chinese junk" and the Chinese "attacking the Japanese 'big 3 1/2' ", I can only say this...

I repaired TV's back in the 70's at a TV repair shop at which I worked to keep me in college money and a car. The Japanese, and later the Koreans were accused of dumping their products into the American marketplace at less than cost. A lot of wailing occurred and nothing of substance as an answer occurred. Instead, the American consumer electronics industry either exited the business or sold out to the Japanese and Koreans. Recall Motorola selling its Consumer business (then labelled Quasar Eltx.) to Matsushita in 1974, and Zenith becoming a Korean company after their foray into HDTV failed.

American companies did not evolve, and did not even try to compete. Now the Japanese and the Koreans are getting similar medicine from their Chinese competitors.

Some of the smarter Japanese companies are having their TV's, Blue Ray players, and stereo equipment made in Indonesia, Vietnam, and Thailand. These are countries interested in building their manufacturing base, and NOT stealing designs and know-how.

I recommend the big 3 1/2 do more of that to compete in 2 way radio and ham equipment. Remember the ADI 147/247/447? Those were Korean copies of the Kenwood TM-231/331/431, only severely cost reduced,...and it showed. (They were the Baofeng's and TYT's of their day.)

So now Kenwood is playing a similar game in reverse and outsourcing more of their single band VHF radios to places like the countries I mentioned, and not China. Their high ticket stuff still comes from Japan. (Good diversification move with the older technology!!!)

So, in closing, there ARE ways to blunt the Chinese move on the ham market. One just has to be clever about HOW to compete.

If a company just wants to chase the "almighty dollar" (term actually invented by Washington Irving in the early 19th century), however, it should send its technology over to China (as a first choice) and just watch how they'll figure out how to ultimately compete...just like the Japanese were accused of doing to the USA in pocket transistor radios, TV's and other consumer goods so long ago.

Don' t believe me? Just try to find a cellphone that is NOT built in China...or an i-Phone, i-Pad, or i-Anything from Apple. The counterfeit versions and stores to sell them are the next step. (Just guess where those are and where they come from.)

I'd strongly recommend that multi-national companies diversify their manufacturing to other countries, rather than putting the entire recipe into the hands of only the Chinese. Have a few key, critical subassemblies done somewhere else and you protect your intellectual property, even if the final assembly is done in China.

So there's the business challenge facing the "Japanese big 3 1/2" and (I almost forgot) Ten Tec.

Keep an eye on what goes into China and what they're doing with it. Keep also figuring out how to beat them at their own game. Give your supplier and future competitor both the figurative "gun and the bullets" to "shoot you out of business" someday, and it certainly will when it no longer needs you.

Figure out how to protect your technology with careful compartmental isolation of the critical pieces from getting into the hands of a single potential competitor, and you will live to be a thriving company in the future marketplace. (e.g.: There are NO D-STAR radios coming out of China, nor any other Japanese company outside of ICOM, are there?)

It's a jungle out there. Take care and you're the king of it. Be careless and you get eaten.

In the meantime, I'll continue to play with my two Chinese dual-banders, which together cost me less than $150 delivered, and enjoy the experience immensely. (That's less than half the cost of a new Kenwood TH-F6A.) They're not cutting edge, but satisfy my needs for analog FM communications fun for now.

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »

Baofeng UV-5 on Amazon.com for $43.50 including shipping.  I just received mine with the programming cable.  I use the free CHIRP programming software, which makes programming easy.

I checked mine out on my Motorola service monitor and receiver performance is on par with my other Yaesu and Kenwood walkie talkies.  I did not try to measure selectivity (adjacent channel rejection).

Best of all it is FCC accepted for commercial and amateur use.

It may not be a mil-spec radio, but for $43.50 I think it is a good deal.  If it breaks, throw it away and buy another one.

Dick  AD4U
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:06:11 PM by AD4U » Logged
KK4MEX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »

This is my first post, I am a new ham looking at these radios as well. I am very interested in the these chinese radios because of price. Lets face it I can get on the local repeater for and learn the in and outs for 50 bux. A good deal if you ask me. It may not be perfect but the other brands have their issues as well(from what I have read)

To all those who bash Chinese products you have a chance tomorrow to vote your opinion. But lets face it, China's unfair business trade is gonna continue. why? Because thats the way we want it. We want ok stuff cheap and thats what they provide, just ok stuff and a very reasonable price. If I want good stuff I pay the additional money. If i want a cheap bathmats or a towel to wipe my behind I run to walmart. I read somewhere that in 1994 93% of what Walmart sold was made in the US or somewhere other than China. Now they provide 95-96% are chinese goods sold there. Sign of the times. I don't know about anyone else but my earned wages haven't kept pace with gas, housing and fuel over the last few years so I am stuck with less expendable cash meaning I have to settle for just ok toys IE Boafeng UV-5R+.

Does anyone think Yaesu or ICOM could build a radio for $50 bux?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »

The change in Wal-Mart was due to one thing and one thing only.  Sam Walton--who owned the controlling shares of Wal-Mart--died.  His heirs sold out the company, and now instead of being the company Sam Walton started to protect American made jobs and goods, it's the worst abuser of the free market system that it can be, and also the worst employer--as far as how it treats its workers that it can be too.  Sam Walton is spinning in his grave.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:27:52 AM by K1CJS » Logged
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 11:58:16 PM »

They work pretty darn well for the price.  I'm just waiting for those new Chinese 80 thru 440 all modes to come out for under $300!  Smiley
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »

They work pretty darn well for the price.  I'm just waiting for those new Chinese 80 thru 440 all modes to come out for under $300!  Smiley

I doubt that will be their price.  The new 2m/440 mobile dual bander is already priced at $289.
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »

I needed some transistor meters to perform some research.  The only resonable priced ones were ones I bought from a HongKong vendor for $55 each.  I needed 10.  I ordered 11 to have a spare.  After hours of use in a less then nice environment only one failed and that was because I dropped it two flights of stairs.   The "American" vendors were significantly higher priced and were made in China.   Roll Eyes
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »

I doubt that will be their price.  The new 2m/440 mobile dual bander is already priced at $289.
  True, but isn't that partially because they just came out?  I would presume that they may drop to around $160 or so after they get into full production.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

True, but isn't that partially because they just came out?  I would presume that they may drop to around $160 or so after they get into full production.

If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you real cheap!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »

If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I can sell you real cheap!
   Was it made in China? Smiley
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 04:09:31 AM »

No, Japan.  It's been here a few decades.   Cheesy  If that one isn't practical for you I've got another out west that was made and England and then moved here! Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: