Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVDongle? Why?  (Read 1723 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »

I'm a gadget freak when it comes to radio. Especially when it comes to interfacing the computer to the radio. Every once in a while this DVDongle thing comes to my attention in forums or classifieds. I've looked at the hardware, read about the implementation, and for the life of me, the gadget freak, cannot figure out what exactly is the allure of DVDongle.

I've seen it described, for example, as a "great way for antenna restricted hams to make contacts with other hams through D-Star", and the like. How is this any different than IRLP or Echolink, aside from the obvious limiting factors around the relative scarcity of D-Star operators and repeaters compared to several thousands of nodes around the world at any given time covering everything from HF to 33cm on the free software VOIP based gateways?

Someone please explain so I can justify adding this gadget to my arsenal :-)
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:26:01 AM »

k5ted, I for one can not tell you why because I still have not tried echo link or irlp other than if I broke into a conversation while in the mobile and the repeater was linked.  Still not sure if it is real radio but I can see the appeal for those that are in antenna restricted areas.  It would allow those hams to be able to communicate with causing RFI. 

Good luck and...
73 de wn2c Rick
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »

It basically has the proprietary D-STAR voice codec in it.  Even when accessing D-STAR streams over the Internet, you still have to have the proprietary codec to encode/decode the voice stream.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: