Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flourescent or Incadescant?  (Read 24827 times)
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »

I never had any bulb life problems here and have a few that are 5+ years old now.

That's impressive. I've had quite a few that based on the date of manufacture, could have run 24/7/365 and still failed before their advertised lifespan.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »

I never had any bulb life problems here and have a few that are 5+ years old now.

That's impressive. I've had quite a few that based on the date of manufacture, could have run 24/7/365 and still failed before their advertised lifespan.

Whats your line voltage and is it stable?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »

I don't know, but CFL lifespans have been a problem in both of my homes.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »

I don't know, but CFL lifespans have been a problem in both of my homes.

Curious. I antenna close to house and running power?  I have ha only a few actually burn out but I have had several show signs of weakness after extended usage.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »

Curious. I antenna close to house and running power?  I have ha only a few actually burn out but I have had several show signs of weakness after extended usage.

I didn't have an antenna at my previous house. I currently have an OCF dipole about 30 feet away. I never run more than 95 W.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »

Here are some of the reasons for, and extent of, the premature-failure problem: http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/why-efficient-light-bulbs-fail-to-thrive
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »

All that has to be known about CFL bulbs is this--those bulbs are offered in quantities at outlet and resale stores, sometimes as low as 50 cents each, and they're the same ones that were offered at most department stores for near ten times that price.  Nuff said. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »

All that has to be known about CFL bulbs is this--those bulbs are offered in quantities at outlet and resale stores, sometimes as low as 50 cents each, and they're the same ones that were offered at most department stores for near ten times that price.  Nuff said. 

A big part of the reason is because they are constantly updating design to make it small and more efficient. When that happens then dump older designs on wholesale market. The size and efficiency of the CFL has changed a lot since they can out. Many CFL's are not instant on at full brightness and take a minute (give or take) to reach it. The trade off for greater efficiency. Those are one you usually see cheap.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »

I have a bunch of recessed cans in the ceiling over the counters in the kitchen. With incandescent 60W bulbs they run so hot you can feel the heat when you stand under them. It seems like I replace about one per month. I replaced them with CFL bulbs and things cooled down but the wife complained about the color and made me put back the incandescent. I found some "soft white" CFL bulbs at Home Depot and replaced them again while she was out of town. She has never noticed the new CFL bulbs. The cans run so cool now that I can put my hand directly on them and I have not had to replace one in the past year.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »

I have a bunch of recessed cans in the ceiling over the counters in the kitchen. With incandescent 60W bulbs they run so hot you can feel the heat when you stand under them. It seems like I replace about one per month. I replaced them with CFL bulbs and things cooled down but the wife complained about the color and made me put back the incandescent. I found some "soft white" CFL bulbs at Home Depot and replaced them again while she was out of town. She has never noticed the new CFL bulbs. The cans run so cool now that I can put my hand directly on them and I have not had to replace one in the past year.

I typical incandescent bulb is about 5% efficient so a 60 watt bulb is basically a 57 watt heater.

LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 03:38:07 AM »

Except for the height of summer here in Norway, and outdoor lights, replacing incandescents with CFLs is actually causing more emissions. For those with only electrical heating, the electricity usage savings is zero. The place I'm at right now is heated with fossil fuel, while the electricity is mostly hydro power (and some nuclear from Sweden), which means CFLs cause more emissions both by replacing hydro power heating with fossil fuel heating, and more emissions caused by production and hazmat handling.

In winter, the only houses that might be causing less climate effects without incandescents might be those heated by wood burning, high efficiency ground-to-water heat pumps, or municipal waste heat.

And then there's the spurious radio emissions. (For those in the UK, don't look to the government for regulation of this either - Ofcom is completely useless as a government agency, as unless the manufacturer has defined their product as a radio, it could be used to hold DX QSOs on public service frequencies without Ofcom caring about it.)
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »

I would keep flourescent, LED and and dimmers out of the shack- they produce lots of "hash" from poor design or cheap components made in China.
 I have directional halogen spots in cans mounted in the ceiling, 40 watts per lamp is more than enough and produces a warm and easy look.

Good luck!

Earl
AB9TX
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »

I would keep fluorescent, LED and and dimmers out of the shack- they produce lots of "hash" from poor design or cheap components made in China.

I have plenty of fluorescent and CFL around the house, including the shack. I haven't noticed any "hash". However, none of my antennas are located directly over or close to the house. I did use a portable AM broadcast radio to test for RF hash from the fluorescent lights in the shack. I had to be less than a foot away from the fixture in order to hear any hash.

Dimmers are a different issue. Unless you get a "high end" dimmer with RFI filtering they can generate a lot of RF hash which generally gets less as you increase the brightness.
N9WW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »

I started buying a few CFL's and used them in the family room and the shack.  I have noticed some hash/RFI from a couple I installed in the shack.  Other than that, not too bad.  I did have a couple of CFL's go bad so I threw them in the trash.
Jim N9WW
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:35 PM »

I have plenty of fluorescent and CFL around the house, including the shack. I haven't noticed any "hash". However, none of my antennas are located directly over or close to the house. I did use a portable AM broadcast radio to test for RF hash from the fluorescent lights in the shack. I had to be less than a foot away from the fixture in order to hear any hash.

Same here.  And my CFL bulbs have been working just fine for years.  No problems with reliability whatsoever. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: