Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Mic for the FT-950?  (Read 1904 times)
KE7FD

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »

I've read that the Yaesu MD-100A8X desk mic is a fine mic overall but when matched to the FT-950, it lacks punch,  relying heavily on the radio's equalizer to do the heavy lifting.  It seems that the MD-100A8X may in fact NOT be a good match for th radio after all.  So speaking to those '950 users out there, what mic do you find works well with your '950 and does that mic require that you need the equalizer in the radio to make up for a lot of the mic's shortcomings?

Glen - KE7FD
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »

My best audio reports are when using the stock mobile mic that came with the radio.  That said, I usually use an old MD1, as a desk mic works best for my situation.  I am sure the md100 can be made to work with the radio.... but you might want to experiment, as this is a very subjective subject!
73s.

-Mike.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »

I use a Heil GM-5 with my FT-950. Always on the wide setting.

I have the EQ set in the radio, I never run more than 13% mic gain. Rarely use the processor.

I get great audio reports. I have never had the stock hand mic on the rig other than to test it to make sure it works.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

Always got good reports with a MD-1 I picked up at a hamfest. Just tweaked the panoramic equalisation a bit as per suggestions on various forums.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »

I use the GM-5. I have a narrow processor setting for DX, and wide with no processor for rag chew. Seems to do the trick. I have the mic gain up enough to stay within the ALC.

KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »

I've received good reports on my FT-950's stock mic, but it doesn't do a great job with noise cancelling so I normally feed my 950 with a large diaphragm condenser (AKG or CAD) through an outboard compressor / noise gate. I run the 950 flat with no processing and low cut on the mics.

KB5UBI
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »

Regardless of the microphone, IMO "sounding good" has more to do with the operator than anything else.

A great way to know how you sound is to have a second receiver tuned to your transmitting frequency: When you transmit, use a tape recorder or digital recorder to record what the second receiver hears, then play it back to yourself after you're finished transmitting.

Then, what you hear is what others hear.

Listening "live" can't do that.  You can hear yourself listening "live," but it's not the way others hear you.
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »

Regardless of the microphone, IMO "sounding good" has more to do with the operator than anything else.

A great way to know how you sound is to have a second receiver tuned to your transmitting frequency: When you transmit, use a tape recorder or digital recorder to record what the second receiver hears, then play it back to yourself after you're finished transmitting.

Then, what you hear is what others hear.

Listening "live" can't do that.  You can hear yourself listening "live," but it's not the way others hear you.

Done that. Exactly why I run it flat; sounds like me. I found a weak point in the 950 to be limited head room in the audio speech processor, so I run an outboard compressor.

KB5UBI 
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:32 PM »

audio technica atr1300 or a atr30 or a atm 410 ... i use them all and they are fantastic and under 50$ or so.
KE7FD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »

Thanks guys, it's been fun walking down memory lane.  I have a Heil element upgraded D104 that I've used with my '857 but with a different plug.  I could build an adapter but think it might be nice to get the up/down function for the '950 going.

I'm wondering: Do old mics loose any elasticity in their elements over time making newer mics better performers? 

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: