Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting an ancient IC-751A on RTTY  (Read 3686 times)
WB3AIT

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

I have been doing some research on this project and THINK this is what is required:
Tigertronics [#SLUSB8R] Signalink,
Cable from Signalink to Tranceiver [SL-CAB8R],
Computer [Compaq] Windows 7 
Software [WinWarbler]. [I'm already using DX SUITE for logging so this seems like a logical choice.]

My main concern is the WinWarbler site suggests using Kantronics and Timewave BUT these are way out of my budget.

Open to all comments and suggestions..
Ed.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »

Does your IC-751A have the 232 interface?  If so, then FSK is easy with WinWarbler and DXCommander to provide PTT control.  AFSK is a different matter...I had all sorts of RF issues.

Richard, AB4ZT
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »

Does it have a narrow CW filter?  RTTY works much better with a narrow filter.  Wink

I'd find that out first--and then figure out what I need to do to use it if it has it--the rig may need to be in FSK mode, which would rule out the popular use of AFSK.

Zack W1VT
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »

A 751A does have to be in CW or FSK mode to use narrow (CW) filters.  AFSK can be done in a 751A but has to use the SSB filters.  The 751A has a built in 500 Hz 1st IF filter for CW and FSK, although to me it sounded a bit wider than that.  You can do FSK using COM1 to handle PTT and shift keying if your rig has the 232 interface.  PIEXX sells an aftermarket interface that installs easy and works well.  It is the easiest way, I think, to get a 751A on RTTY.

Another advantage (well on RTTY anyway) for FSK is that you do not have to worry about adjusting audio input levels, which is critical to avoiding distortion and a poor TX signal.  Of course, FSK can only be used for Baudot RTTY, and none of the other popular digital modes like PSK.

Richard, AB4ZT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: