Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much info on PSK31??  (Read 35016 times)
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

Well, I do have the TS940SAT and have used FSK mode before when in CA (before the move). I will try that. Perhaps for low power I can even try a CQ if I can get the antenna away from me.

'73.
Dave
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 10:10:27 AM »

Rudeness in the face of rudeness is a virtue.

Do you really think so?  To me it sounds like just so much more rudeness.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »

Rudeness in the face of rudeness is a virtue.

Do you really think so?  To me it sounds like just so much more rudeness.

Jumping into a mud pit to fight someone else means no one comes out clean.

Ben Franklin was a good statesman because of one of the things he remembered from his childhood.
Having wanted a whistle from the local store, he saved up and paid a lot for it.
After buying it, the other kids made fun of him for paying too much.

He remembered this later in life, and ensured he "never paid too much for the whistle".
Of course this is euphemistic for confrontation and diplomatic discussions.

Angry and rude people have built in demons tormenting them - they are best left to their fate.

73 - Rob
KK4AH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

After reading all the responses I was wondering if the contest guys who work psk would like the macro dumps?
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »

After 3 pages of responses I find it interesting that the OP never came back. Maybe he thought all the response were to long like the macros he hates.

73 and have a good day
wn2c
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »

After 3 pages of responses I find it interesting that the OP never came back. Maybe he thought all the response were to long like the macros he hates.

73 and have a good day
wn2c

You know, I always hate that on any forum. I always wonder why someone posts and never returns. This even happens on the TIVO forum where people have a specific question and never return!
KT4EP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »

I've had conversations with interesting people after they sent their long macro and then I asked them some questions and got them to talking about themselves instead of their station and equipment, etc.  They came across as surprised that someone actually wanted to talk rather than just swap information by macro.   One fellow was a WW2 vet with some interesting stories.   Another wanted to talk about his boat and another his grand kids.  No problem on my end  Smiley

and then there was one fellow who  pointedly and brusquely  told me all he was interested in was a contact in the log book and did not want to engage in conversation.  Rude IMO, but I'm sure he has made A LOT of contacts and missed out on some interesting chats.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

I've had conversations with interesting people after they sent their long macro and then I asked them some questions and got them to talking about themselves instead of their station and equipment, etc.  They came across as surprised that someone actually wanted to talk rather than just swap information by macro.   One fellow was a WW2 vet with some interesting stories.   Another wanted to talk about his boat and another his grand kids.  No problem on my end  Smiley

and then there was one fellow who  pointedly and brusquely  told me all he was interested in was a contact in the log book and did not want to engage in conversation.  Rude IMO, but I'm sure he has made A LOT of contacts and missed out on some interesting chats.

After reading this I think about the article in last months QST: "How many friends did you make".  When one thinks about all of the contacts they have made over the months or years, how many have turned into 'friends'? I bet quite alot if you spend any time talking to them. But not many if you are just looking for the contact and moving on. When I am on PSK I usually send my brag file prefaced with the comment of 'ok lets get this out of the way' and then move on to some typing to get to the real QSO. Have had some real good QSO's that way.

73 de wn2c  Rick
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »

There is a tactful way to say that you are looking to move on and see who else you might contact.  It works both ways.  I've responded to questions and after a few exchanges asked to be excused only to be ignored by the ragchewer.  Me, I'd never want to give up ragchewing *or* the quickies.  It all depends on my mood.
KJ4YAC

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 01:31:32 PM »

I've run  across PSK CQs where the guy will finish his CQ with 'short QSO only pse'.  I'll reply with hiscall DE mycall, my name, QTH, his signal report, 73, and SK....all on one transmission. Fine by me if that's what he's doing.  I dunno, maybe he's trying to set a personal record for QSOs/hour or something? Happy to help.

During a 'regular' QSO, I'll often comment on the quality of the other guy's signal (if it's good), something about his QTH, etc.  This will often be the start of a nice rag chew....especially on 17 meters or, for that matter, on Olivia or Feld Hell on any band.

And yes, there's often a comment about my little stealth end fed.  Something like "I can't believe the signal you're putting out with that thing!" I smile to myself when I hear that.
W6UX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »

My macros are setup to adapt to the style of the op I'm working.  DX, ragchew, or standard macro exchange.  If they want to chat, I do.  If not, no biggy, in the log they go and I move on.

-Jeff
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

I've been a casual PSK31 operator for exactly four years this month, and I don't
like the canned "Brag" macro files. But, conversely, I'm appalled at some of the
really personal info that folks type about freehand to complete strangers.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »

I've been a casual PSK31 operator for exactly four years this month, and I don't
like the canned "Brag" macro files. But, conversely, I'm appalled at some of the
really personal info that folks type about freehand to complete strangers.

Not that I am a gossip, but what sort of stuff?
And does it come with pictures?

Please don't tell me it is their health problems - that would be too much information.
I am assuming it is not SS numbers - that would be disturbing.
Otherwise, in this networked world, most of us are open books, so we just add to the general information overload with any PSK data.

But yes, I agree, sometimes we think we are on a peer to peer network rather than in a broadcast mode - so appropriate caution should be exercised.

73 - Rob
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »

When I was 5R8GQ in Madagascar I loved to
work PSK-31. It was a great way to work the
"little guys". Guys with compromise antennas
and low power. (As opposed to the Big Guns who
dominated the pileups on SSB).

Anyway, I wanted to give as many people as I could
a 5R8 QSO, as it is a pretty rare prefix on that mode.
Despite me including "Contest Style QSO Please"
in my CQ, many, many people would dump these
long macros on me.... while others were patiently
waiting to call. I usually just changed frequencies while
their macros were running and called another CQ.
Maybe it was rude of me, but those people I bailed
on were in the log and got their QSL cards......

73, Ken  AD6KA/5R8GQ
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »

Sorry to practice 'thread necromancy', but Ken's post rings very true.  I'm a complete neophyte PSK operator, having gotten into the mode out of a desire to help people fill their band/mode award maps for USVI. That means when I call CQ, I want to crank out Qs, like any other mode.  When I call CQ DX on, say 30m CW, it's "call tu 599" and nobody gets upset.  But if you ask people to stop sending their long PSK macros with their complete station and personal info right down to the numbers of the beta-test logger they're using and their cat's middle name, suddenly it's rude?

I don't get that.

I'm not advocating we stop ragchewing.  I'm thinking we need to use our collective loaf when calling DX and send the bare minimum.  Unless, of course, the DX is ragchewing; that link to the ancient ham radio maxim of "listen listen listen" is so blindingly obvious I shouldn't need to say it.  That's why it gets so frustrating when I'm running QSO after QSO of "T U 5NN QRZ" and some twerp dumps his stupid macro on me.  It hogs the frequency and gets in the way of others who want to contact me.  THAT is rude, IMO. 

That's my take on it.

Bob WP2XX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: