Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mic boom selection, mic, and mic switch....  (Read 8402 times)
KB8BAB

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »

I've got two rigs (TS-530S and TS-940SAT) and two mics...(MC-60's)...would like to tidy things up a bit.

In some of the station pics posted, some of you have what looks to be a boom that the mic is attached to.
So..
Who makes these what appear to be "quality" booms?
Could I use one of my MC-60 mics on a boom? Any of you tried this?
Mic cable would need to be lengthened...what type of cable to use? Just shielded or shielded and twisted?
Mic switch.....(MFJ-1261?) or is there an alternative...

Bart
KB3HGR
K2QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:34 AM »

Most of the boom/mics set up you see are probably Heil microphones and booms. I use a Heil set up and love it. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. Some guys have made booms up from old scissor lamps and stuff so there are options out there.
Take a look at the Heil website doe some ideas. www.heilsound.com

KB8BAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »

Most of the boom/mics set up you see are probably Heil microphones and booms. I use a Heil set up and love it. They aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. Some guys have made booms up from old scissor lamps and stuff so there are options out there.
Take a look at the Heil website doe some ideas. www.heilsound.com

Cool...thanks for the info and the link!

Bart
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »

The MC-60 microphone body does detach and is separate from the base/stand, so it can be used in a boom just fine.  You will have to make up a new cable.

The cable normally has at least one shield, some have two (one for the microphone element wiring, and a second shield over all conductors).  Key is to make it long enough to move the boom around everywhere you want and use strong but flexible cable, IMO -- makes for a high quality, long-lasting installation.

I like "Canare" mike cables because they're very high quality and incredibly flexible.  Even the multiconductor very well shielded mike cables are soft and supple and you can wrap them around your pinky easily; they are rugged enough to be walked on (which happens on stages a lot) but soft enough to make them really easy to use.  Canare cables are sold by most professional audio shops.  You can re-use the connectors you already have for the MC-60 and the rig just by disassembling them from their current cables and then re-assembling them (which involves soldering) onto the new, single, longer cable.
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »

So..  Who makes these what appear to be "quality" booms?

We installed Q-MIC booms at the N2MO club station.  Search "microphone boom q-mic" on eBAY.  They are decent booms for the money. 

It's still a work in progress, but the options are:  VOX, foot pedal, and pistol grip.    The pistol grip is a re-worked automotive remote starter switch.

Link to picture:  http://sarex.us/n2mo/temp/radio_room_one.jpg
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 06:39:20 AM »

I also use a q-mic boom and mount here in the station (Q-mic pro on ebay). Both have worked out fine and support my heavy RE-27 microphone.  The Q-mic products are a good value in comparision to the other name brands, although their prices have risen somewhat lately.  I use the Heil Foot Switch with a custon buffer/switch box that works well.

VE3GSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »

i have bought all the booms that ive used from music stores and their prices are way better than MR HEIL can give you!!!! also great variety good luck de ve3gss
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:33:12 PM »

Amazon.com has a very large selection of booms and mike adapters at reasonable prices. Check them out.

73s

K2OWK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: