Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-590S tuning steps  (Read 1961 times)
K6RQR

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »

Hello All -
 I would like to know about the tuning steps of the TS-590S. I am particularly interested in the AM step or steps. In previous Kenwood models like the 570 and 480 you can only tune AM in .1 khz steps or .01 kHz with the fine control. I am curious as to whether it is possible to tune AM in 1 kHz steps with the 590? With the Icom 746 it is possible to push the TS button and then select whatever tuning step you want in the mode you are in. For AM the 746 has quite a few tuning steps available. I prefer to have 1 kHz tuning steps when I listen to AM shortwave stations. I don't seem to be able to find this ability with the TS-590S. I know that the Multi function knob may provide this but I am interested in the Main tuning being able to do this. Anyone know?

Bruce  K6RQR

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 04:09:40 AM »

Hello, Bruce.

On page 29 of the TS-590s Instruction Manual it states:

“Fine Tuning: The default frequency step size when turning the Tuning control to change the frequency is 10 Hz for SSB/CW/FSK and 100 Hz for AM/FM. However, you can change the frequency step size to 1 Hz for SSB/CW/FSK and 10 Hz for AM/FM.”

The toggle from the default step size to fine tuning is done with a “Fine” button located on the front panel – just to the lower left of the Tuning knob. (That button, when pressed and held, also serves to Lock the Tuning knob.)

Mel – KS2G
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »

Bruce you are probably right. 1 kHz steps at the main tuning knob is not possible with the TS-590. But why is that so important for you? The VFO knob of the TS-590 makes 1000 steps per revolution while the Icom 746 only makes 200 or 300. So with 100 Hz steps and 1000 steps per turn it is very comfortable to tune the BC band.

Otherwise the Mult function knob also allows 9 kHz steps for the European AM band and 5 kHz for USA and shortwave which is also very comfortable.

Why are you looking for 1 kHz at the main tuning knob?

73, Peter - HB9PJT
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:59:14 AM »

Check page 28 of the manual. Look under the heading QUCICK QSY. It shows how to set tuning increments for the MULTI/CH knob. Use the VFO knob for fine tuning, use the MULTI/CH knob (when in VFO mode) to tune with larger steps (ranging from 500Hz to 100 Khz, depending on mode). I use this function on my TS2000 all the time. I go to the AM BCB band, set it for 10 khz, and just step my way through the band.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: