Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phasing 2x40m sticks for balcony use ?  (Read 1115 times)
SV1ENS

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »

Hi All,
Like so many others, I too have issues with my condo antenna limitations.
I was just rejected for a small installation on the roof of the building, so back to the balcony I go...

My building is build like a Faraday Cage and any kind of internal antenna is totally useless !

I've tried bent dipoles with no success, I even tuned the window aluminum frame with some success
but definitely not practical.

My balcony is on the 22nd floor, but like the building it is surrounded by concrete. Mounting a stick can only happen
at a 90 degree angle on the rails, a magnet mount will work to mount a stick, but since I have two available
sticks I was wondering if I can phase them for a better result !?

The rail is about 15 feet from end to end, and the orientation is west to east. If phasing is possible, would this give
it a east west direction ?

Demetre
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »

Have you seen this forum's ongoing thread on magnetic loop antennas? Might be something to consider.

It's titled Heliax Loop, but there's commercial ones and Heliax is only one method of creating the loop.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »

I don't think two sticks both worked against whatever the counterpoise is (building itself?) will be an improvement but why not give it a try and let us know if it worked for you?
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:37:21 PM »

Hi Demetre. For about 8 years I lived in nearly identical quarters: 18th floor of a 22 story apartment building with a similar balcony. Balcony had a sturdy metal railing to which I C-clamped a Hustler mobile whip pointing straight out. I changed bands by changing Hustler resonators.

I tried many antennas over the 8 years but that was about the best arrangement I found. My balcony was on the south side of the building. Working north, including Europe, was very difficult. You are correct that zero RF penetrated the massive concrete and steel building. Interestingly, on 2 meters, where I had a 10 element yagi, I could work north by bouncing signals off nearby tall buildings to the south. Like billiards.

Generally I worked 20 meters. The mobile whip was too short on the low bands and too high above ground to perform on 10 meters. Yes, an antenna can be too high.

Not a great situation for hamming.  BTW, 15' is probably too short for phasing on 40 meters.  
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:46:37 PM »

Here's a picture of my QTH from 1977-1984. Notice all the balconies. You'd think being way up there would be a great location. It wasn't.

http://tinyurl.com/9yufvye
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:03:55 AM »

You could try it, but I think you'll be disappointed.  15' is less than 1/8 wavelength separation at 7.075 MHz, and won't be very effective when phased.  And when I operated mobile, I never had much success with Hamsticks below 20M.

Don, K2DC
SV1ENS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »

Thanks to all who replied...

I'll just go with the single horizontal stick and hopefully I'll manage to find a path to the continent...

Demetre - SV1ENS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: